And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:10:29 AM
[Strange to say as I have the feeling you understood D and I pretty well

As I have indicated, I think the word choice is singularly unhelpful because it conceals rather than reveals what makes Obama distinctive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:20:00 AM
The Gingrich comparison I think is useful.  This is a man who refers to himself as a epochal revolutionary, the only true heir of Reagan, and who has stated "I have enormous personal ambition. I want to shift the entire planet. And I'm doing it. I am now a famous person. I represent real power."  He is someone who according to a friend ditched his first wife b/c she wasn't pretty enough to be the wife of a President and who when questioned about his serial affairs during the debates explained them by saying: "There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate."

I hate Gingrich. It's not a simple disliking of his speeches for that man. I loathe him. For the very reasons you cite.

QuoteThat is an example of a man whose own self-regard veers to the extreme and borders on delusional.  Obama is nothing like that.  Obama is an elitist who plays at being a man of the people but sometimes fails to keep up the mask (e.g. "cling to guns, religion").  That's why he sometimes comes across as arrogant and condescending.  he is also a very ambitious and programmed politician who knows how to promote himself and doesn't have any compunctions about doing it.  Again not the same thing.

That's what I said. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 09:26:58 AM
What does that have to do with the fact that I feel like he's talking down to me when he gives speeches? :huh:

Jesus H Titty Sprinkled Christ, you're all a bunch of oversensitive fruits.  He thinks too much of himself, he thinks he's smarter than I am, he talks down to me.  Goddamn.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
Jesus H Titty Sprinkled Christ, you're all a bunch of oversensitive fruits.  He thinks too much of himself, he thinks he's smarter than I am, he talks down to me.  Goddamn.

I voted for the man, but that doesn't mean that I have to like everything about him.

I have no doubt that he's an incredibly intelligent man. He's obviously incredibly capable. Nonetheless, I prefer not to be lectured during speeches, so I don't listen to him. I'm certainly not crying over it; I just don't care for it.

katmai

I never feel like he's talking down to me, but then of course I'm smarter than all of you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I could only imagine the squealing about a President Romney, and a First Lady that refers to you as "you people".  :P

I don't get any of that from the man, personally.  Probably because I'm on the same intellectual plane as he is.  I just prefer not to flaunt it.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:42:15 AM
I don't get any of that from the man, personally.  Probably because I'm on the same intellectual plane as he is.  I just prefer not to flaunt it.

:highfive:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:42:15 AM
I could only imagine the squealing about a President Romney, and a First Lady that refers to you as "you people".  :P

:lol:

Despite how it may appear here (because unlike the rest of you mopes I'm willing to admit when I don't know something), my IQ is in the top 2%. How smart I am has nothing to do with how I prefer to be spoken to.

:P

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:10:29 AM
[Strange to say as I have the feeling you understood D and I pretty well

As I have indicated, I think the word choice is singularly unhelpful because it conceals rather than reveals what makes Obama distinctive.

That he hides it better.

Also did you know arrogance is a symptom of NPD?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on May 15, 2013, 09:41:26 AM
I never feel like he's talking down to me, but then of course I'm smarter than all of you.

:huh:

Stupid people talk down to smarter people all the time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:51:11 AM
That he hides it better.

I think you were doing better when you claimed to use the word in a rough common meaning sort of way.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 09:44:23 AM
my IQ is in the top 2%.

"Of the household" doesn't really count.   :hug:

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:53:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:51:11 AM
That he hides it better.

I think you were doing better when you claimed to use the word in a rough common meaning sort of way.

Hey you opened up NPD can. I just thought that was good to add in - though again, I was not diagnosing Obama with a personality disorder. :D

11B4V

IRS: Hey, We Targeted Lefty Groups, Too

(Newser) – The IRS is defending itself against the Inspector General's report on its targeting of Tea Party groups, saying they made up only a "minority" of the 471 political nonprofit groups scrutinized. And, hey, three—three!—of those 471 were Democrat-leaning groups, including one, Emerge America, that was actually denied tax-exempt status, Bloomberg reports. "[It is] important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views," the IRS said in a statement. It also said that although "Inappropriate shortcuts" were used to identify some of the groups, most of them would have still been singled out for extra scrutiny had the agency gone about it correctly, reports ABC.

The other two more liberal groups on the list that received the extra examination seem largely positive about the experience. "I'm not saying it was fun but it was important," said a spokesperson from Progress Texas. But in a letter to the IRS, Republican lawmakers Darrell Issa and Jim Jordan claim the extra scrutiny put the Tea Party groups and others "in a state of purgatory where they often languished without action for periods as long as two years," Fox News reports. "The actions of the IRS are unconscionable and appalling," they wrote.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".