News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 10:12:22 AM

Did you read the article?  It sounds like you're talking about something else.

It was the article that precipitated the response. It is that article - "he said this!", "no, he said this!", "nuh uh, the emails say this!", "no they don't! yer stoopid!" - that made me feel like I was listening to my kids argue over stupid shit that neither will even remember tomorrow. In six months, what is this going to mean to anyone?

It's a game of "gotcha'", and I don't have time for it - from either side.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 11:13:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 11:12:14 AM
I'm disappointed in Valmy drinking the Kool-Aid of Konspiracy.

You seemed fine with it when I was complaining about Bush doing the same shit.

That's because the Bush Administration was being run by Darth Cheney, the Hand of Evil Himself.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 11:13:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 11:12:14 AM
I'm disappointed in Valmy drinking the Kool-Aid of Konspiracy.

You seemed fine with it when I was complaining about Bush doing the same shit.

That's because the Bush Administration was being run by Darth Cheney, the Hand of Evil Himself.

Cop out.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Pfft, that's so not a cop-out.

Besides, there were some things done by the Bush Administration that I didn't necessarily have a problem with in the first place.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:21:58 AMI'd rather you tell me. 

I did :)

QuoteNo.

Then you are setting up the following choice:

a) Obama is horrible because of what he did in these terrible "scandals"; or
b) Obama is horrible because he had nothing to do with these terrible "scandals", which proves that he does nothing.

It's pretty clear that you've decided that Obama is horrible, whatever the fact pattern.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:35:25 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:21:58 AMI'd rather you tell me. 

I did :)

QuoteNo.

b) Obama is horrible because he had nothing to do with these terrible "scandals", which proves that he does nothing.

It's pretty clear that you've decided that Obama is horrible, whatever the fact pattern.

What have I said about what Obama did in these scandals?  You're acting like I've given the impression that I think Obama is some sort of evil genius pulling all the strings, and I don't believe I have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 11:09:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:05:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 10:59:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 10:58:04 AM
So the IRS investigation was completed a year ago but they just recently decided to spill it?  Yowza.

And you are surprised?  The Executive Branch loves its secrecy.

But it was supposed to be the most transparent administration in history :( 

I'm sure the election had nothing to do with it.

Wait that was a campaign promise, wasn't it?  :lol:

Yeah but we all knew at the time that such would never happen. For one thing, it doesn't even make sense to do so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 11:47:32 AM
Yeah but we all knew at the time that such would never happen. For one thing, it doesn't even make sense to do so.

I was actually hopeful he'd follow through with it.  I didn't want him to win in 2008 but it would've been one of those "silver lining" things for me had it happened.

Either way, it doesn't let him off the hook for not following through.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 09:48:16 AM
Sometimes diplomacy is dangerous, and sometimes being the most forward deployed assets representing America's interests in dangerous and ambiguous environments--a role in which Ambassador Stevens embraced in Libya--can be costly when things go wrong.

It's a terrible tragedy and a terrible loss of dedicated individuals in harm's way, but it's not a scandal.  It's the cost of doing business at the tip of America's diplomatic spear.

Indeed.
And Stevens was the Ambassador.  He could have said - I'm not budging from Tripoli until the security gets beefed up; let the CIA deal with Benghazi on their own.  As the man on the ground, he made the informed decision to run the risk of that trip, because of the benefit it could bring to US interests in the region.  It was a courageous decision, but tragically one that cost him his life.  Exploiting that tragedy to score political points against Obama is disgraceful.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 11:22:31 AM
IRS stalled conservative groups

I still don't undertsand this "stalling" business.
If the IRS doesn't rule, the organization gets to claim the deduction in the meantime.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:53:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 11:47:32 AM

I was actually hopeful he'd follow through with it.  I didn't want him to win in 2008 but it would've been one of those "silver lining" things for me had it happened.

Either way, it doesn't let him off the hook for not following through.

As I called him the chocolate milk kid, I don't care much about any of the promises he broke - other than that they help confirm my opinion. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:35:25 AM

What have I said about what Obama did in these scandals?  You're acting like I've given the impression that I think Obama is some sort of evil genius pulling all the strings, and I don't believe I have.

Well... I asked you if you conceded there was no substance to the scandals, and you did not. So it seems you're still trying to have it both from piles a) and b), or maybe just from one of them - as long as the conclusion is that Obama is horrible. You have not allowed for, even theoretically, a scenario in which Obama is not horrible in relation to the IRS and Benghazi "scandals".

So yeah it seems pretty clear that you started with your conclusion and are working backwards from there.

Kleves

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 11:55:50 AM
If the IRS doesn't rule, the organization gets to claim the deduction in the meantime.
Do they keep that deduction even if their application is later rejected?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on May 22, 2013, 12:03:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 11:55:50 AM
Do they keep that deduction even if their application is later rejected?

As no applications have been rejected to this point, that's a hypothetical question.