And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:26:15 PM
So, no other inconvenience for them, then?  All they have to deal with is the uncertainty of getting approved?

Correct.
And the discomfort of that uncertainty is precisely proportional to the weakness of their claim to tax exempt status.

If you hear the sheep barking loudly enough, chances are what you've actually got are wolves in disguise.

Then the IRS need not have apologized.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:06:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 03:39:41 PM
So if you were to find out Obama wasn't as disengaged as you thought, or couldn't be engaged due to some factor, or something along those lines you would have a much higher opinion of him?

Not sure what you're thinking could come out of this to elevate Obama in my mind.  You seem to be playing it as if it were a binary thing where either he comes out as a superhero or the devil.

Nope, simply he could come out as not an incompetent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 04:44:53 PM

Which is my opinion as well.  But, they have a self-esteem issue.  They're sensitive to how they're portrayed, so I can understand why whatsherface spoke out of turn with an uncomfortable public apology.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 04:51:27 PM

But, they have a self-esteem issue. 

:lol: I like that. A bully with a self-esteem issue.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 04:53:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 04:51:27 PM

But, they have a self-esteem issue. 

:lol: I like that. A bully with a self-esteem issue.  :lol:

Isn't that what all interpretations of acting out, e.g. "bullying", is reduced to?  Self-esteem issues?

The IRS just wants to be loved.

The Minsky Moment

If the IRS used improper and politically biased criteria in targeting information requests -- and at least one of the offices admitted to this - damn right they should apologize.

My comments are only addressed to the complaints about having to wait for a final approval.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 05:01:50 PM

If the IRS used improper and politically biased criteria in targeting information requests -- and at least one of the offices admitted to this - damn right they should apologize.

My comments are only addressed to the complaints about having to wait for a final approval.

Ah

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:41:07 PM
Well, he's calling her back.  We'll see how it unfolds.

Here's my prediction.
Lerner's lawyer writes back saying: thanks but no thanks.
Issa then seeks to have her held in contempt.  At that point there are two possibilities: a contempt prosecution is brought, or it isn't.  If the latter, it dies quietly.  If the former, then Lerner immediately moves to have the case thrown out on the basis of her privilege invocation.  She will cite the Supreme Court's opinion in Ohio v. Reiner, which held that a witness who denies all criminal culpability and asserts their innocence is still entitled to assert the 5th Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.  (which makeses sense if you think about it; otherwise a plea of not guilty would also waive the 5th).
And that will be the end of it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Why can't you just re-assert your 5th Amendment rights at any time? I get that just by talking you are effectively waiving it, but it doesn't just cease to exist then. At what theoretical point does it supposedly come back? Hell, I'd say you could selectively choose which questions to answer, claiming the 5th on every one you don't. (That could be wrong for all I know, but it seems like it should be that way to me.) Looks like Issa is just being a jackass. Loopholes to get around the constitution is DC's favorite sport.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 22, 2013, 07:04:10 PM
Looks like Issa is just being a jackass.

Why break out of character?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 07:05:23 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 22, 2013, 07:04:10 PM
Looks like Issa is just being a jackass.

Why break out of character?

Found out that he's a car thief, a convict, and a fire-starter.  I just thought he was a snake.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

IRS Staff Cite Link to Washington

"Internal Revenue Service employees in the agency's Cincinnati office tell congressional investigators that IRS officials in Washington helped direct the probe of tea-party groups that began in 2010.

Transcripts of the interviews appear to contradict earlier statements by top IRS officials, who have blamed lower-level workers in Cincinnati."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324069104578527713122409302.html

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 05:01:50 PM

Do you have any doubts they targeted the Tea Party?
I don't.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on June 05, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
IRS Staff Cite Link to Washington

"Internal Revenue Service employees in the agency's Cincinnati office tell congressional investigators that IRS officials in Washington helped direct the probe of tea-party groups that began in 2010.

Transcripts of the interviews appear to contradict earlier statements by top IRS officials, who have blamed lower-level workers in Cincinnati."

Yeah, at this point I'd blame it all on my bosses, too.

Their testimony wasn't nearly as good as all the poor Tea Partiers though. BECAUSE I HAD TO FILL OUT FORMS I CANT SLEEP AT NIGHT NOW WONDERING WHAT MY GOVERNMENT WILL DO TO ME