News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 03:01:34 PM
Tell us about them.  Give us some realistic scenarios where you wouldn't find Obama at fault involving the IRS thing and Benghazi.

My starting point for both is that he is not directly at fault.  At this point, I don't think he has anything directly to do with the IRS thing and I would just like to know why he apparently disengaged himself from the Benghazi thing while it was still going on.

I never said he was a monster.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

So if you were to find out Obama wasn't as disengaged as you thought, or couldn't be engaged due to some factor, or something along those lines you would have a much higher opinion of him?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/irs-official-lois-lerner-not-done-anything-wrong-153037583.html

Quote"I have not done anything wrong," Lerner told the House Oversight Committee during a hearing about the IRS' practices Wednesday. "I have not broken any laws. I have not violated any IRS rules or regulations, and I have not provided false information to this or any other congressional committee."

Lerner's opening statement before the committee was the only information she would provide at the hearing. As advised by her attorney, Lerner invoked her Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate herself by testifying and declined to respond to questions from lawmakers. She added that by refusing to subject herself to questions "some people will assume I have done something wrong. I have not."

I don't get this. She says she did nothing illegal and then invoked her 5th amendment not to incriminate herself?  I guess I see how one could do that but doesn't that seem..like you're sending two different signals?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on May 22, 2013, 12:18:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 12:06:58 PM
As no applications have been rejected to this point, that's a hypothetical question.
I've not been following this "scandal" (or any of the others) that closely; are you saying that no group has ever been rejected for this kind of tax exempt status since 2010? If so, that seems like a scandal in itself.

In any case, the "hypothetical" question could be pretty important for groups waiting for their applications to be processed, and could have a chilling effect even if their application is not eventually rejected.

None of the targeted groups that faced due diligence that are now complaining had any applications rejected.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 03:39:41 PM
So if you were to find out Obama wasn't as disengaged as you thought, or couldn't be engaged due to some factor, or something along those lines you would have a much higher opinion of him?

Not sure what you're thinking could come out of this to elevate Obama in my mind.  You seem to be playing it as if it were a binary thing where either he comes out as a superhero or the devil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 03:40:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/irs-official-lois-lerner-not-done-anything-wrong-153037583.html

Quote"I have not done anything wrong," Lerner told the House Oversight Committee during a hearing about the IRS' practices Wednesday. "I have not broken any laws. I have not violated any IRS rules or regulations, and I have not provided false information to this or any other congressional committee."

Lerner's opening statement before the committee was the only information she would provide at the hearing. As advised by her attorney, Lerner invoked her Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate herself by testifying and declined to respond to questions from lawmakers. She added that by refusing to subject herself to questions "some people will assume I have done something wrong. I have not."

I don't get this. She says she did nothing illegal and then invoked her 5th amendment not to incriminate herself?  I guess I see how one could do that but doesn't that seem..like you're sending two different signals?

Yeah.  This things go' git messy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 02:54:29 PM
FWIW, Drudge is flashing (without a link for now) that Issa is going to recall Lois Lerner to testify, on the basis that she waived her 5th Amendment rights by making an opening statement.

Issa's confidence in the strength of his legal position can be gauged by the fact that after asserting his waiver position, he dismissed Lerner.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
due diligence
:lol:

Ask yourself why these groups are in such a panic about not getting a final response from the IRS when the law permits them to claim the deduction in the interim.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 04:24:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
due diligence
:lol:

Ask yourself why these groups are in such a panic about not getting a final response from the IRS when the law permits them to claim the deduction in the interim.

So, no other inconvenience for them, then?  All they have to deal with is the uncertainty of getting approved?

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 04:23:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 02:54:29 PM
FWIW, Drudge is flashing (without a link for now) that Issa is going to recall Lois Lerner to testify, on the basis that she waived her 5th Amendment rights by making an opening statement.

Issa's confidence in the strength of his legal position can be gauged by the fact that after asserting his waiver position, he dismissed Lerner.

That was earlier.  Apparently he feels more strongly now.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/darrell-issa-irs-lois-lerner-91755.html?hp=t3_3

QuoteDuring the incident, Issa did not flat-out say whether or not Lerner had indeed waived her rights but instead tried to coax her into staying by offering to narrow the scope of questions.

By the afternoon, Issa was taking a harder stand.

"The precedents are clear that this is not something you can turn on and turn off," he told POLITICO. "She made testimony after she was sworn in, asserted her innocence in a number of areas, even answered questions asserting that a document was true ... So she gave partial testimony and then tried to revoke that."
He said he was not expecting that.

"I understand from her counsel that there was a plan to assert her Fifth Amendment rights," he continued. "She went ahead and made a statement, so counsel let her effectively under the precedent, waive — so we now have someone who no longer has that ability."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:29:53 PM

No doubt he feels more strongly now that he is not in the same room with Lerner's lawyer.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:26:15 PM
So, no other inconvenience for them, then?  All they have to deal with is the uncertainty of getting approved?

Correct.
And the discomfort of that uncertainty is precisely proportional to the weakness of their claim to tax exempt status.

If you hear the sheep barking loudly enough, chances are what you've actually got are wolves in disguise.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 04:35:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:29:53 PM

No doubt he feels more strongly now that he is not in the same room with Lerner's lawyer.

Well, he's calling her back.  We'll see how it unfolds.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 04:26:15 PM

Correct.
And the discomfort of that uncertainty is precisely proportional to the weakness of their claim to tax exempt status.

If you hear the sheep barking loudly enough, chances are what you've actually got are wolves in disguise.

Or maybe they're being given the ol' IRS full cavity search in the process.