Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: Kleves on May 22, 2013, 12:03:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 11:55:50 AM
If the IRS doesn't rule, the organization gets to claim the deduction in the meantime.
Do they keep that deduction even if their application is later rejected?

As no applications have been rejected to this point, that's a hypothetical question.

I had heard that a Democrat organization had been rejected. Is that not so?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:35:25 AM
Then you are setting up the following choice:

a) Obama is horrible because of what he did in these terrible "scandals"; or
b) Obama is horrible because he had nothing to do with these terrible "scandals", which proves that he does nothing.

It's pretty clear that you've decided that Obama is horrible, whatever the fact pattern.

What have I said about what Obama did in these scandals?  You're acting like I've given the impression that I think Obama is some sort of evil genius pulling all the strings, and I don't believe I have.

Well... I asked you if you conceded there was no substance to the scandals, and you did not. So it seems you're still trying to have it both from piles a) and b), or maybe just from one of them - as long as the conclusion is that Obama is horrible. You have not allowed for, even theoretically, a scenario in which Obama is not horrible in relation to the IRS and Benghazi "scandals".

Not true.

QuoteSo yeah it seems pretty clear that you started with your conclusion and are working backwards from there.

Then by all means feel free to ignore me if my criticism of Obama is baseless.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2013, 12:09:06 PM
I had heard that a Democrat organization had been rejected. Is that not so?

Who cares.  Not relevant to the witch hunt.

Kleves

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 12:06:58 PM
As no applications have been rejected to this point, that's a hypothetical question.
I've not been following this "scandal" (or any of the others) that closely; are you saying that no group has ever been rejected for this kind of tax exempt status since 2010? If so, that seems like a scandal in itself.

In any case, the "hypothetical" question could be pretty important for groups waiting for their applications to be processed, and could have a chilling effect even if their application is not eventually rejected.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Seems like a totally nonhypothetical question to me.  Unless the IRS regs explicitly say "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

The Minsky Moment

It's non-hypothetical.

They keep the deduction unless the IRS rules against them, the IRS ruling is then upheld in administrative proceedings, and then a Court rules against the taxpayer and finds no legal entitlement to the deduction. 

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:35:25 AM
Then you are setting up the following choice:

a) Obama is horrible because of what he did in these terrible "scandals"; or
b) Obama is horrible because he had nothing to do with these terrible "scandals", which proves that he does nothing.

It's pretty clear that you've decided that Obama is horrible, whatever the fact pattern.

What have I said about what Obama did in these scandals?  You're acting like I've given the impression that I think Obama is some sort of evil genius pulling all the strings, and I don't believe I have.

Well... I asked you if you conceded there was no substance to the scandals, and you did not. So it seems you're still trying to have it both from piles a) and b), or maybe just from one of them - as long as the conclusion is that Obama is horrible. You have not allowed for, even theoretically, a scenario in which Obama is not horrible in relation to the IRS and Benghazi "scandals".

Not true.

QuoteSo yeah it seems pretty clear that you started with your conclusion and are working backwards from there.

Then by all means feel free to ignore me if my criticism of Obama is baseless.

Okay, what situation is there where Obama is not not horrible?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 12:45:31 PM

I recall he liked Obama's terrorist zapping drones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 12:59:41 PM

I recall he liked Obama's terrorist zapping drones.

No, to Narcissistic.  Obama did not give enough credit to Bush and Reagan.  Anyway, I was thinking something closer to the horrible "scandals" we've been talking about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

The recent Korea thing.  I wasn't happy about delaying our missile test, but overall I'd give his administration a B or B+ on how they handled it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 01:17:41 PM

The recent Korea thing.  I wasn't happy about delaying our missile test, but overall I'd give his administration a B or B+ on how they handled it.

A little closer to our topic here.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Actually, I am a little impressed that Derspeiss could get over the nausea he feels when he sees the President to give him a B.