Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 20, 2013, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 04:39:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 20, 2013, 04:36:32 PM
The ambassador has a responsibility to keep himself safe. It isn't just about his own life: it creates a shitstorm when an ambassador gets killed.

The ambassador was dedicated to BUILDING BRIDGES with ENGAGEMENT.

Nick Berg had a similar plan.

Nick Berg was a CIA contractor working cellular monitoring.  You putz.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 04:31:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
Libya wasn't just any third world country.  It was a war-torn country with jihadists running around. 

What I would like cleared up at this point are: why nothing was done to try and assist the ambassador and his bodyguards during the siege (apparently some special forces types in Tripoli were ready to move but were told to stand down), and why Obama apparently dumped it all on Panetta at 5:00pm that day and detached himself from the whole situation.

Were is your source on this "standing down"?

Gregory Hicks's testimony a week & a half ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57583014/diplomat-u.s-special-forces-told-you-cant-go-to-benghazi-during-attacks/

Hicks never said "stand down".  Also the DoD said such an action was impossible.

QuoteThe team, in Tripoli already to train Libyan forces, requested to hop on a Libyan C-130 cargo plane to head to Benghazi. But Special Operations Command Africa told them not to go, because "there was nothing this team could do to assist," Little said, opting to tell the team to stay in Tripoli to assist with consular staff's evacuation from Benghazi.

According to Little and Lapan, the C-130 the team wanted to fly to Benghazi on had space for the men, but it didn't arrive in the city until after the battle ended. "There's no evidence they could have arrived in Benghazi before the end of the attack," said Lapan, a spokesman for Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/05/bengazi-pentagon/
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 04:31:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
What I would like cleared up at this point are: why nothing was done to try and assist the ambassador and his bodyguards during the siege (apparently some special forces types in Tripoli were ready to move but were told to stand down), and why Obama apparently dumped it all on Panetta at 5:00pm that day and detached himself from the whole situation.

Were is your source on this "standing down"?

Gregory Hicks's testimony a week & a half ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57583014/diplomat-u.s-special-forces-told-you-cant-go-to-benghazi-during-attacks/

Time to play  . . . Benghazi WHACK-A-MOLE! 
Now that we've put paid to the arguments that the ambassador shouldn't have been there at all, or that his security was unreasonably low given available resources, or that the WH or Clinton had any personal resposbility for anything, or that Obama didn't use the right suffixes, we get to open door #11.

I have no idea whether there is anything to what Hicks says.  But problems with the testimony leap off the page.  Accounts of conversations he wasn't privy too.  Hearsay statement from unidentified Libyans in the classic "people in the know have said" mode.  Expressions of "my personal opinion" about military efficiacy from a non-military person.

And most troubling, self-serving boasting about the size of his balls.   :D
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 04:33:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:31:19 PM
The United States was an occupying force in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yes it was.

Do you see perhaps a difference in security in a country where the US rules and a country that US doesn't.

But if you really believe this, and are willing to declare every US president incompetent for maintaining US diplomatic personnel in dangerous areas, then please write your congressmen and demand the US withdraw from it's Diplomatic personnel from most of the Middle East, Africa and Mexico.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 05:04:09 PM
Do you see perhaps a difference in security in a country where the US rules and a country that US doesn't.

But if you really believe this, and are willing to declare every US president incompetent for maintaining US diplomatic personnel in dangerous areas, then please write your congressmen and demand the US withdraw from it's Diplomatic personnel from most of the Middle East, Africa and Mexico.

I could have sworn I'd already addressed the every president incompetent angle.

Razgovory

In another twist to this scandal the Indiana State Police said it would have helped if it could, but was "Ominously kept in the dark by the Obama administration".  The Conspiracy deepens. :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
In another twist to this scandal the Indiana State Police said it would have helped if it could, but was "Ominously kept in the dark by the Obama administration".  The Conspiracy deepens. :ph34r:

:lol:  I wonder if Sheriff Arpaio isn't already on the case as well.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 05:06:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 05:04:09 PM

I could have sworn I'd already addressed the every president incompetent angle.

You did?  I don't remember you calling Reagan incompetent.  But go ahead, call him incompetent.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM
Hicks never said "stand down".  Also the DoD said such an action was impossible.

QuoteThe team, in Tripoli already to train Libyan forces, requested to hop on a Libyan C-130 cargo plane to head to Benghazi. But Special Operations Command Africa told them not to go, because "there was nothing this team could do to assist," Little said, opting to tell the team to stay in Tripoli to assist with consular staff's evacuation from Benghazi.

According to Little and Lapan, the C-130 the team wanted to fly to Benghazi on had space for the men, but it didn't arrive in the city until after the battle ended. "There's no evidence they could have arrived in Benghazi before the end of the attack," said Lapan, a spokesman for Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I think I'd have sent them anyway just in case. It wouldn't have hurt anything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 05:18:49 PM
You did?  I don't remember you calling Reagan incompetent.  But go ahead, call him incompetent.

:lol: Ciao Razz.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 20, 2013, 05:19:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM

I think I'd have sent them anyway just in case. It wouldn't have hurt anything.

Except of course, they could have died.  Or there might be a similar attack in Tripoli which they can't defend against cause they are now in transit to Benghazi.  Besides that, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 05:21:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 05:18:49 PM

:lol: Ciao Razz.

Seriously though, your arguments were based on 20/20 hindsight.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2013, 04:58:07 PM

Now that we've put paid to the arguments that the ambassador shouldn't have been there at all, or that his security was unreasonably low

I haven't been following this story much, so I may have missed key details, but how did the above arguments get closed?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on May 20, 2013, 05:49:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2013, 04:58:07 PM

Now that we've put paid to the arguments that the ambassador shouldn't have been there at all, or that his security was unreasonably low

I haven't been following this story much, so I may have missed key details, but how did the above arguments get closed?

It didnt.  Ended the usual way here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".