Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 07:36:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 07:30:51 PM
That's all I need.  The story writes itself.

Lazy.

I had cheeseburgers for dinner.  I feel bloated, in the way God would feel bloated if he ate like Ed.

I had a Big Boy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 08:12:59 PM
US embassy staffs are regularly pulled from countries because of perceived threat,

No that is not a very regular occurence.  It is not that common that an entire overseas embassy is pulled based on security threats.  It happened in Syria because there was a very hot civil war going on but also because it was clear that we could have no useful influence on the government anyway.  Things have to get pretty hot before a whole embassy is pulled.  The locals reporting general "were gonna get you" threats from al-qaeda influenced orgs is not enough to do it.  If it was, then the US really would be pulling staffs regularly, and al-Qaeda would quickly figure out they could veto US consular presence anywhere in the world just by ginning up convincing threats.

Quoteyet never once have I read an op-ed, or heard a talking head on a cable network or Sunday morning show discussing the need to do so. 

Yes, exactly.  And the reason has nothing to do with special secret intel.  The reason is that it is not deemed a newsworthy subject.  At any given time, the risk to the manifold US installations overseas are endemic.  It is a risk that the US assumes.  Determinations of the precise level of risk or return are made by the people on the spot and the mid-level bureau officers responsible for those facilities.  Those kinds of decisions don't get micro-managed at cabinet level unless specifically escalated.  And so the press doesn't cover them.  No one cares or shows any interest unless and until something terrible happens, and then of course, it is very easy to say what should or should not have been done.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2013, 08:31:16 PM
No one cares or shows any interest unless and until something terrible happens, and then of course, it is very easy to say what should or should not have been done.

This is true.  But the fact that it is easy to say does not mean it's wrong.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM
Hicks never said "stand down".  Also the DoD said such an action was impossible.

He said "They didn't miss the flight. They were told not to board the flight."  He raised no objections when it was later mentioned by the committee member that it essentially meant a stand-down order.  But I almost don't blame you for hiding behind that to try & save face.

QuoteThe team, in Tripoli already to train Libyan forces, requested to hop on a Libyan C-130 cargo plane to head to Benghazi. But Special Operations Command Africa told them not to go, because "there was nothing this team could do to assist," Little said, opting to tell the team to stay in Tripoli to assist with consular staff's evacuation from Benghazi.

According to Little and Lapan, the C-130 the team wanted to fly to Benghazi on had space for the men, but it didn't arrive in the city until after the battle ended. "There's no evidence they could have arrived in Benghazi before the end of the attack," said Lapan, a spokesman for Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/05/bengazi-pentagon/

Thing is, they had no idea how long the siege would go on.  Seems odd not to have made an effort.

But why am I bothering to discuss with you?  In your mind, zero mistakes were made, nothing happened, what difference does it make, etc.

Not even, the shrinks know what's in my mind :contract:  You are drinking the Conservative kool-aid produced in all the blogs about how Obama deliberately murdered an ambassador for a laugh and you accusing me of being close minded?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Yi had the right idea.  I'm done with you for the day, Raz.  Cards game is starting, anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 08:58:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM
Hicks never said "stand down".  Also the DoD said such an action was impossible.

He said "They didn't miss the flight. They were told not to board the flight."  He raised no objections when it was later mentioned by the committee member that it essentially meant a stand-down order.  But I almost don't blame you for hiding behind that to try & save face.

QuoteThe team, in Tripoli already to train Libyan forces, requested to hop on a Libyan C-130 cargo plane to head to Benghazi. But Special Operations Command Africa told them not to go, because "there was nothing this team could do to assist," Little said, opting to tell the team to stay in Tripoli to assist with consular staff's evacuation from Benghazi.

According to Little and Lapan, the C-130 the team wanted to fly to Benghazi on had space for the men, but it didn't arrive in the city until after the battle ended. "There's no evidence they could have arrived in Benghazi before the end of the attack," said Lapan, a spokesman for Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/05/bengazi-pentagon/

Thing is, they had no idea how long the siege would go on.  Seems odd not to have made an effort.

But why am I bothering to discuss with you?  In your mind, zero mistakes were made, nothing happened, what difference does it make, etc.

Not even, the shrinks know what's in my mind :contract:  You are drinking the Conservative kool-aid produced in all the blogs about how Obama deliberately murdered an ambassador for a laugh and you accusing me of being close minded?

Now that's just your Obama Left Wing Retardism showing. Too afraid to take a critical lokk at "Your boy".
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 20, 2013, 08:15:04 PM

Lazy.

I had cheeseburgers for dinner.  I feel bloated, in the way God would feel bloated if he ate like Ed.

I had a Big Boy.

I made chicken tenders and a big salad. I am: Healthy McHealtherson
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on May 20, 2013, 09:03:30 PM

You are: Elaine.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 20, 2013, 08:15:04 PM

Lazy.

I had a Big Boy.

I don't have time for that. I need grease.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 09:04:08 PM

You are: Elaine.

I don't like to brag, but I *do* have some pretty fine dance moves.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 09:01:50 PM
Yi had the right idea.  I'm done with you for the day, Raz.  Cards game is starting, anyway.

Eh, Yi's got Minksy on his ass right now.  He'll do fine.  Of course I'm ignoring 11b4dishonesty at the moment, for you know, dishonesty.

When ever I start watching the Cards they take the opportunity to blow a lead.  <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2013, 09:14:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 09:01:50 PM

Eh, Yi's got Minksy on his ass right now.  He'll do fine.  Of course I'm ignoring 11b4dishonesty at the moment, for you know, dishonesty.

When ever I start watching the Cards they take the opportunity to blow a lead.  <_<

Was not dishonest. You made several mistakes that you shouldnt have made. When you were called you resorted to personal attacks, the last position of the desperate.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 07:11:57 PM
Fact check rips IRS official over Tea Party targeting claims

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com

I didn't get past that. Got a better source?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 20, 2013, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 07:11:57 PM
Fact check rips IRS official over Tea Party targeting claims

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com

I didn't get past that. Got a better source?

Google it. BTW disprove it. It may be from Fox, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Valmy

I would like to applaud 11B4V's heroic attempt to keep this thread on topic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."