News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I think it's worthwhile stepping back for a second and looking at the big picture.
The Arab Awakening shattered long-entrenched corrupt systems and set the stage for a struggle of what was to come next.
The US has a big strategic interest in the outcome of that struggle.  And Libya is a key area in transition.
The US was fortunate enough to have in country an incredibly valuable asset - an ambassador who was highly respected by key factions and who therefore could exert US soft power to influence events in the favor of American strategic interest.
Only problem is that the value of that asset depended on the US ability to keep him in country, and Libya was not a stable country.

This was not an unusual situation.  State Department all the time has to balance security risks - which are commonplace and endemic in many places where it operates.  Being a consular officer can be a dangerous job even if it doesn't involve wearing a uniform and toting a weapon.  So at any given time, State is having to make hundreds of judgment calls about balancing its mission against security concerns, given the resources allocated to it.

With that background, IMO the claim that ex ante the US should have pulled out of Libya is ludicrous.  This was a critical mission.  I can't see any basis for arguing that it was unreasonable to continue the mission despite the risks as then known and understood.  And I note that there was no contemporaneous advocacy for pulling the US diplo mission out of Libya.  It is 100% pure 20/20 hindsight to say otherwise.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 04:30:51 PM
You're going to question the judgement of the ambassador on the ground, when he's the one calling the shots?

You're talking about the guy who begged for more security personnel?   :lol:

Question:  Do you think it likely that an addition couple of guys would have been able to fare any better then the two that were already there?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
What does it take to heed the warnings, what 10 or so years after 9/11. Complacency on the part of DoS.

I am sure they do heed warnings but we have been on high alert for 10+ years now and we get warnings all the time.  Sometimes you just blow it and AQ and company gets a hit in.  I bet DoS has a good record over all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:28:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:25:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:13:01 PM
No I don't disagree, 11B4V.  In fact I don't think anyone thought of Libya as that safe a place.  So you saying "Libya wasnt a cluster fuck at the time.-False" is rather disingenuous.

What would you have done with the Benghazi diplomatic mission.  How would you have prevented this tragedy.  We have lots of places in similar dangerous situations.  Perhaps they can take your advice.

Hell, according to you, they're expendable. It's theeir job...right. :lol:

You've been dodging all day.  You going to be straight with me or what?

No I havent and you're first sentance is false.

As we say in Govmint service,  "Above my pay grade".

Where you been? In a basement or something.

Look if you want to just dick around, fine.  Why don't you go play while the adults are talking, okay?

Not "dicking around". You have misquoted me at least once on purpose. Because, I know you're not that dumb, so who's playing games?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:39:25 PM
Question:  Do you think it likely that an addition couple of guys would have been able to fare any better then the two that were already there?

You don't answer my questions, why should I answer yours?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:34:07 PM

No shit. Damn Seedy, missed that one bro.   :lmfao:

Not really.  I wouldn't call his requests for the Libyans to get their shit together as "begging".  And his requests for his detail was to raise the number of members from 5 to 8.  Not what I'd call a substantial force multiplier.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 13, 2013, 04:21:28 PM
Only a small subsection of Congress receives daily security briefings, and theirs are not as in depth as the President's. Nor are they as in depth as the lower level briefings that would be seen at State or DoD, nor is it the job of Congress to make executive calls. Any other stupid questions?

Now that we've answered those, there were known security concerns in Libya. It's mentioned in every report about Benghazi and is contested by no one.

Pretty impressive to contradict yourself in the space of 3 sentences.

Of course your second statement is the correct one - the security concerns in Libya were well known by everyone.  They were not the subject of top secret, exclusive high priority briefings to the President.  Nor did they require any particular degree of depth and specificity to understand.  Any interested member of Congress, including the supervising committees and their staff, knew and had full access to the relevant facts.   Any of the press either in country or out of country but reporting on it had access to the same facts reported in the consular briefings.  Given the reporting of the June assassination attempts and other stories about Libyan militias and general instability, even the general public has access to all required facts for making a judgment.

The real answer to my question is:
1.  No one at the time thought it important enough to question
2.  Everyone at the time treated the decision to keep the mission in place a routine judgment call of the sort State makes all the time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 04:45:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:39:25 PM

You don't answer my questions, why should I answer yours?

I did answer your question, at least to best of my ability!  Is there another question I didn't answer?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

Not "dicking around". You have misquoted me at least once on purpose. Because, I know you're not that dumb, so who's playing games?

I did?  Cite.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 04:30:51 PM
You're going to question the judgement of the ambassador on the ground, when he's the one calling the shots?

That's a stronger argument then the one that the US should have pulled out altogether.
But not by much.

State only has so many resources to dedicate to security and a lot of bases to cover.  They can draw on other resources for short periods under extraordinary causes and in fact did so at various times in Libya.  But the requests for bolstered security by the Libyan mission happened continuaally over a period of about a year and a half.  The documents show that State did "surge" up the security for months at a time.  But that could not be maintained indefinitely. 3 extra guys from Stevens would have meant 3 less guys somewhere else (not to mention 3 more likely dead Americans since Seedy is right it wouldn't have been close to enough)

Of course one solution to this problem would have been for Congress to allocate greater resources to consular security.  20/20 hindsight and all that.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:54:00 PM
I did answer your question, at least to best of my ability!  Is there another question I didn't answer?

You ducked it.  I will repeat: given what we know now, do you disagree with any of the decisions that were made?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 04:56:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:54:00 PM

You ducked it.  I will repeat: given what we know now, do you disagree with any of the decisions that were made?

Now that's a different question!  It's still vague, though.  Could you narrow it down a little bit?  Which sort of decisions?  Decisions concerning the attack, the response, what?  I'm not messing with you here, you are asking a question about a situation covering a period of like six months.  I'm trying to think of everything said in that time period.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2013, 04:55:21 PM
Of course one solution to this problem would have been for Congress to allocate greater resources to consular security.  20/20 hindsight and all that.

Dan Issa doesn't see it that way.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 05:05:46 PM
Now that's a different question!  It's still vague, though.  Could you narrow it down a little bit?  Which sort of decisions?  Decisions concerning the attack, the response, what?  I'm not messing with you here, you are asking a question about a situation covering a period of like six months.  I'm trying to think of everything said in that time period.

Leave out what the ambassador ate for breakfast and include everything else.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:55:02 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

I did?  Cite.

QuoteYou know, when you disprove statesmen made by other people, it's a good idea to make sure they said them first.  I'd love to see the quote where Obama or Clinton says "Libya wasnt a cluster fuck at the time".

Misquote
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".