News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Does Trump have a natural constituency in congress?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2016, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 03:44:33 PM

Nope

Probably not, but I'm still amazed at the idea that he has a constituency among the voting public. 

Of course, no on has actually voted for him yet, but the polls certainly suggest that a considerable number of people will.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2016, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
That is the frustrating part about Sanders.  He identifies the right problems, but falls back to solutions that have often proved to be self-defeating.

That and he has no natural constituency in congress.  One of the positives of political parties is they can enforce discipline and get things done.  However, since he has no real loyalty to the party, there is no reason to believe that Congressmen will have any real loyalty toward him.

The power of a president with members of his (or her) party in congress doesn't primarily come from the affinity congressmen have toward him (or her), it comes from the power he (or she) has with the base of the party. If democrats are fired up enough about Bernie Sanders to elect him president, he will do just fine with his party in congress because democratic politicians will not want to piss off the voters on which they depend.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Speaking about protectionism in the presidential campaign:

QuoteRepublican presidential candidate Donald Trump warned that he would force Apple, the U.S.'s most profitable company, to manufacture all of its products in the U.S. if he is elected president in November 2016.

Technology blog Gizmodo reports that during a speech at Liberty University in Virginia late Monday, the frontrunner for the GOP ticket said, "We're going to get Apple to build their damn computers and things in this country instead of in other countries."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/19/

:lol:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I know it's very impractical, but I like it anyway.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

To be devil's advocate, aren't Chinese using some strong-arm tactics to make sure stuff gets produced in their country?  It's not protectionism if you're responding to protectionism or retaliating.

Jaron

The media is afraid of Trump. I've read two articles now that grossly exaggerated reactions to him. One said he was boo'd for dissing Ted Cruz and the other said students were laughing at him (in a mocking way) at a university. I watched the videos and he was boo'd by two people and barely anyone laughed at him.

I think this will be an interesting election.

I think Trump's supporters will be very disappointed in his presidency. It is interesting that they say the corruption in Washington DC is the problem and think somehow Trump can "fire" them. If the politicians in DC are all slathered up in pork and catering to big business, what can Trump do to change it?

It is funny to me that they say Trump can't be bought and no one is pulling his strings but if you take any other political they hate and follow the strings to the puppet master then you find someone like Trump.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

:lol:  Of course not.  I think that's what's endear both Sanders and Trump to people, they are outsiders.  That and they promise the moon, they either don't know what the President can and can't do or that just don't give a fuck.  But even if they didn't promise the moon, and moderated their programs they couldn't get shit through.  Congress doesn't work well as it is, neither Trump or Sanders are likely to make things better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

John Kasich seems to be gaining momentum in New Hampshire.  I actually thought he did well in last week's debate; not a star, but sane and sensible.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-3350.html

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2016, 02:09:48 PM
John Kasich seems to be gaining momentum in New Hampshire.  I actually thought he did well in last week's debate; not a star, but sane and sensible.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-3350.html

Part of me wants to see Kasich do well because he seems reasonable, but I also want to see him do well because it is entertaining when a new threat arises on Trump's radar and he rips them a new asshole. Hey, maybe our country is collapsing, but at least it is entertaining. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Sarah Palin endorses Trump. The Crazy ticket? :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 01:43:26 PM
:lol:  Of course not.  I think that's what's endear both Sanders and Trump to people, they are outsiders.

Trump vs. Sanders would be glorious.  :mmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 19, 2016, 05:09:07 PM
Sarah Palin endorses Trump. The Crazy ticket? :lol:

I like CNN going on about how great this is for him.

And really lends creedence to Trump just seeing how crazy he can get before people actually have had enough.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The governor of Iowa has asked people not to vote for Cruz, presumably because he opposes ethanol subsidies.