News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on January 20, 2016, 10:52:14 AM
I have a horrible feeling that Sanders will win the Democratic nomination. Trump will win the Republican, and that Trump will then go on to win the election.  :(

Please convince me this won't happen.

Sanders would beat Trump, and be a toss up against Cruz, he'd be crushed by any of the establishment candidates though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I have a lot of respect for Sanders.  Not often do people actually take on labels that are a political liability, and make it acceptable to the mainstream rather than replace the label with a euphemism.  And by all accounts he was a very pragmatic manager as a mayor.

That said, free market is a very powerful force, and one should buck it very selectively and for good reasons.  Not understanding this is why the liberals of old eventually got discredited, and had to become "progressives".  At least from his rhetoric, it doesn't sound like Sanders learned that lesson.  So I hope that if he does leave a lasting legacy, it will be focused more on denouncing crony capitalism than on his economically self-defeating ideas.

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on January 20, 2016, 11:02:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2016, 10:53:43 AM
I try not to think about it Malthus. Hilary Clinton is our only hope.

Man I never thought I would type those words.

This is why Yi caucusing for Hillary is so important. On this the fate of the republic depends.

None of us will have any impact on any election ever  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on January 20, 2016, 11:14:17 AM

Nonsense. I could, through immense personal effort, sway many local elections if I wanted to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on January 20, 2016, 11:14:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 20, 2016, 11:02:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2016, 10:53:43 AM
I try not to think about it Malthus. Hilary Clinton is our only hope.

Man I never thought I would type those words.

This is why Yi caucusing for Hillary is so important. On this the fate of the republic depends.

Scip did once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rick-wilson-donald-trump-single-men

GOP Strategist: Trump Supporters Are 'Single Men Who Masturbate To Anime'

While explaining that he believes that Donald Trump's success in the Republican party does not mean that establishment conservatism is dying, GOP strategist Rick Wilson dismissed the "childless single men" who support Trump's presidential bid.

"The fact of the matter is, most of them are childless single men who masturbate to anime. They're not real political players. These are not people who matter in the overall course of humanity," Wilson said of Trump supporters on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes."

"What's really driving the party, though, is still a limited government conservatism," Wilson continued. "We don't always get there by a straight line path. We don't always get there in a direct way. But that is still what drives this party."

Wilson insisted that Trump's rise will not doom the mainstream beliefs in the party.

"I don't think that this other stuff that Trump is toying with is really part of the mainstream conservative movement by any stretch of the imagination," he said.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rick-wilson-donald-trump-single-men
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2016, 11:43:15 AM
Quote"The fact of the matter is, most of them are childless single men who masturbate to anime. They're not real political players. These are not people who matter in the overall course of humanity," Wilson said of Trump supporters on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes."

"They matter so little that I'm talking about them on TV."  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

I'm thinking it's not outside the realm of possibility that Palin suddenly popping up is intentional and designed to discredit Trump rather than support him.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2016, 03:48:16 PM
I'm thinking it's not outside the realm of possibility that Palin suddenly popping up is intentional and designed to discredit Trump rather than support him.

Trump courted her, though.  She showed up at a Trump rally.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 03:55:27 PM
Trump courted her, though.  She showed up at a Trump rally.
She's his second-to-last-ditch exit strategy.

alfred russel

McCain has held his tongue regarding Palin, but you know he has to be pissed about the monster he created.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on January 20, 2016, 04:49:59 PM
McCain has held his tongue regarding Palin, but you know he has to be pissed about the monster he created.

I can see that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2016, 03:48:16 PM
That is way too conspiratorial. Palin is a perfect endorsement for Trump and can only help him with the Walmart crowd.