News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2016, 07:51:22 PM
Dorsey, do you not live in Atlanta city limits?

Does that invalidate anything? (work yes, live no, though I'm ITP).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

The Republican demographic wet dream comment.

One thing to keep in mind- Trump supporters are poorer and less educated than average Republicans. So less likely to be your coworkers and neighbors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Anyone watching the debate?  It's so boring when adults discuss things in adult manner.  :(  And why is that moderators can't seem to hit that sweetspot of retaining control without bulldozing over lively discussion?  They either let themselves be walked all over, or they walk over the candidates, with no middle ground.

Habbaku

At least O'Malley is around to provide comic relief.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on January 17, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
At least O'Malley is around to provide comic relief.
He doesn't come across as a comic relief to me.  He's just a forgettable non-entity.

alfred russel

I really thought O'Malley was going to take off. Oh well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

So I turned on CNN for basically the first time in a very long time...I'm working and thought I'd get a recap on the debate...fuck...why do they have 8 people to analyze and Wolf Blitzer to moderate?

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on January 17, 2016, 10:59:45 PM
So I turned on CNN for basically the first time in a very long time...I'm working and thought I'd get a recap on the debate...fuck...why do they have 8 people to analyze and Wolf Blitzer to moderate?
You can't have too much of a good thing.

PJL

Quote from: alfred russel on January 16, 2016, 05:24:30 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 16, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
So it's not impossible for Trump to actually become the president of the USA?

I think it is highly unlikely he gets the republican nomination, and even if he does, regardless of what the poll numbers may say now, he will get trounced. His only hope is for nominee Clinton to get mired in a horrible scandal (which is plausible), or to somehow transform himself into a less polarizing figure for the general election and go against Sanders.

I'm a white guy in Georgia who works for a big corporation in accounting. I pretty much live in a republican demographers wet dream. I don't know anyone that is supporting Trump. The only opinions I hear regard him negatively as a clown or cynical populist (if still entertaining). He may be firing up the rednecks, but keep in mind the state has a massive minority population that is reliably democratic. So the state is 55-45 republican and closing, and if you lose the white professionals, a republican can't win the state no matter how excited the rednecks are. And if a republican can't cruise to victory in Georgia, how is a republican going to win a general election?

Once it becomes a straight Republican vs Democrat fight, they will line up behind the Republican, no matter how outlandish he seems.

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on January 16, 2016, 03:03:50 PM
A two-term Trump presidency would secure a vital strategic supply of lulz and butthurt.

The lulz would last a few short days. The stupid would last eight long years.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Been reading Bernie's website.  Very educational.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 10:56:25 AM
In what way?

I didn't know he was protectionist.  I wasn't aware of the number of tax and giveaway programs he favored.

DGuller

That is the frustrating part about Sanders.  He identifies the right problems, but falls back to solutions that have often proved to be self-defeating.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
That is the frustrating part about Sanders.  He identifies the right problems, but falls back to solutions that have often proved to be self-defeating.

That and he has no natural constituency in congress.  One of the positives of political parties is they can enforce discipline and get things done.  However, since he has no real loyalty to the party, there is no reason to believe that Congressmen will have any real loyalty toward him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017