News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on January 16, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
So it's not impossible for Trump to actually become the president of the USA?

No, never doubt the resolve of the American masses to be stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2016, 01:52:45 PM
No, never doubt the resolve of the American masses to be stupid.

Quote from: HL Mencken"No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Not impossible at all.  Especially if he starts converting his poll numbers to primary wins.  If he can defy expectations up until now, then maybe there is something behind it that is more than just dumb luck.

Zanza

I would be both amazed and amused by President Trump.

Legbiter

A two-term Trump presidency would secure a vital strategic supply of lulz and butthurt.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on January 16, 2016, 03:03:50 PM
A two-term Trump presidency would secure a vital strategic supply of lulz and butthurt.

A two-term Trump presidency would require some modicum of competence at the job, otherwise the lulz will be long gone.

Martinus

First the over-the-top campaign tv ad, now the song/dance - I can't believe Trump is not going for the troll content, at least in some part.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2016, 05:07:36 PM
Is there a document somewhere that clarifies what "natural born" means?

I wonder if a person born through a Cesarean section could be the President.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2016, 09:48:41 AM
Okay, this was funny.  :lol:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/01/freedom-girls-donald-trump-rally

The guy who hosts the comedy podcast I listen to commented that it was awesome and he hopes the next Trump's public appearance is with him flanked by battle robots. Because it's getting into Fallout/dystopia territory. :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2016, 01:15:50 PM
Even if we assume those voters are better informed, a national poll would be a better proxy for the November election.

Maybe, but Iowa and New Hampshire are both competitive states, and those are the two states that know the candidates---which is an indication of what the rest of the country will also think when the rest of the country also gets to know the candidates before the November election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I think it is highly unlikely he gets the republican nomination, and even if he does, regardless of what the poll numbers may say now, he will get trounced. His only hope is for nominee Clinton to get mired in a horrible scandal (which is plausible), or to somehow transform himself into a less polarizing figure for the general election and go against Sanders.

I'm a white guy in Georgia who works for a big corporation in accounting. I pretty much live in a republican demographers wet dream. I don't know anyone that is supporting Trump. The only opinions I hear regard him negatively as a clown or cynical populist (if still entertaining). He may be firing up the rednecks, but keep in mind the state has a massive minority population that is reliably democratic. So the state is 55-45 republican and closing, and if you lose the white professionals, a republican can't win the state no matter how excited the rednecks are. And if a republican can't cruise to victory in Georgia, how is a republican going to win a general election?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on January 16, 2016, 03:03:50 PM

Is there anything you do not love entirely based on spite?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Just learned Rubio got a football scholarship to Division VII Tarkio College.

Eddie Teach

Dorsey, do you not live in Atlanta city limits?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.