News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2016, 06:31:46 PM
The governor of Iowa has asked people not to vote for Cruz, presumably because he opposes ethanol subsidies.

As the only guy in Iowa who are you going to vote for?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The governor of Iowa has asked people not to vote for Cruz, presumably because he opposes ethanol subsidies.
Cruz opposes ethanol subsidies?  :(

garbon

Yeah he stated that Cruz was against renewable energy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Interesting.  Forces continue to amass to bring down Cruz.  Previously it was the Canadian citizenship and Goldman Sachs things.  Now, it is the Sarah Palin endorsement and escalating fight with the Iowa governor.

Cruz hits back against Branstad, labels Iowa governor part of 'Washington cartel'

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/ted-cruz-terry-branstad-iowa-217984

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2016, 06:42:22 PM

Cruz hits back against Branstad, labels Iowa governor part of 'Washington cartel'

Is the best insult this US Senator can come up with is that the Iowa governor is a part of the Washington cartel?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 06:34:22 PM
As the only guy in Iowa who are you going to vote for?

I assume you mean in the caucus?

If I attend, my first vote will go for Christie.  Then depending on how the room shakes out, Kaisich or Rubio.  If it comes down to Cruz and Trump I'll abstain.

DGuller

Well, if there is one good thing to come out of it, it's that my bet is looking better and better.  :licklips:

Admiral Yi

I just got the lamest canvass call in recorded history.

Some adenoidal college kid working for O'Malley.

"We're just reaching out to people who might have a candidate they prefer.  Do you back any of the candidates?"

"Yup."

"O'Malley by any chance?"

"Nope."

[chuckles]  "OK, thanks very much."

DGuller

:pinch: Hopefully one of the gun nuts will put him out of his misery.  :(

alfred russel

Yi, let me make the case for caucusing for Hillary. :)

At least if things continue to shake out the way they are going, and I concede they can change, it is between Trump and Cruz for #1 and #2, and after that you have a bunch of reasonablish candidates battling to be the reasonable alternative to the top two goofballs. It seems you don't have a strong preference between the reasonablish candidates, so your vote won't go very far. The battle for a reasonable GOP nominee, for the most part, won't be fought in Iowa.

However, on the Democratic side, it seems to be set for a long term Hillary vs. Sanders fight. A win by either would be big. It is your chance to help move one of the parties to nominate a more traditional candidate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 19, 2016, 05:09:07 PM
Sarah Palin endorses Trump. The Crazy ticket? :lol:
Her eldest being arrested for beating up his gf is making more news than this endorsement up here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Don't listen to Dorsey. Sanders won't be able to pass any "crazy" bills, but a Republican winner will.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2016, 09:56:58 PM
Don't listen to Dorsey. Sanders won't be able to pass any "crazy" bills, but a Republican winner will.

I don't think it's guaranteed that a majority in both houses would automatically vote to *demand* that Mexico pay for a border wall, or to rename DC "Trumpville."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2016, 02:09:48 PM
John Kasich seems to be gaining momentum in New Hampshire.  I actually thought he did well in last week's debate; not a star, but sane and sensible.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-3350.html

ARG is a notoriously bad polling company,  but it does seem like he has some momentum. If he gets 2nd place in NH he definitely could end up being the last establishment candidate standing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2016, 06:42:22 PM
Interesting.  Forces continue to amass to bring down Cruz.  Previously it was the Canadian citizenship and Goldman Sachs things.  Now, it is the Sarah Palin endorsement and escalating fight with the Iowa governor.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/ted-cruz-terry-branstad-iowa-217984

It just shows that there is a lot of personal hatred against Cruz because he's been such a dick to them. I think a lot of establishment Republicans would rather have Trump win then Cruz.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point