News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 01:08:48 PM
Okay, understood. Seems silly and inefficient, but whatever, it's your country.

The organizing principle of American government is the division and dispersal of power.  A certain degree of agency rivalry is arguably WAD.  the model hegelian state, this isn't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

With the latest batch of polling and early vote tallies, I am now cautiously optimistic that Clinton will squeeze wins in Florida, Nevada, and maybe even North Carolina while beating back Trump in New Hampshire.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2016, 01:12:41 PM
In a slightly more sane answer to the same question, at least over here we're always restricted in what we can do and share because of protection of privacy legislation.  I do sometimes get a call from different government agencies and we often have to say "sorry we can't tell you what we know".  Health care records are the worst (since health care is government-run over here).
Privacy legislation should pertain to information, not to tools to process information that you already legally have (which I assume was the case for the FBI as they had a warrant).

Information obtained by search warrant pretty much by definition has a privacy interest attached (otherwise police wouldn't have needed a warrant).  So the FBI may have been restricted from sharing that data with other agencies for that reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2016, 01:19:54 PM
Information obtained by search warrant pretty much by definition has a privacy interest attached (otherwise police wouldn't have needed a warrant).  So the FBI may have been restricted from sharing that data with other agencies for that reason.
I fully agree that the FBI should keep that information private and not share it with another agency. That's why I suggested that the other agency could share its tools.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. The story here is that the alt-right is too stupid to believe that you can check 650,000 emails in a matter of days.

celedhring

Information sharing between security agencies is very problematic over in Spain too. They share very little information between themselves but a lot of it it's very sensible so it's hard to strike a good balance. For example, there's been at least one case where two security agencies had each undercover agents/informants within the same yihadist cell - which almost blew the operation. Should they have shared their list of undercovers and informants between themselves? I'm not sure myself...

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
Anyway, doesn't really matter. The story here is that the alt-right is too stupid to believe that you can check 650,000 emails in a matter of days.

Rather, the alt-right believes their public too stupid to believe that you can check 650,000 emails in a matter of days.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on November 07, 2016, 01:19:20 PM
With the latest batch of polling and early vote tallies, I am now cautiously optimistic that Clinton will squeeze wins in Florida, Nevada, and maybe even North Carolina while beating back Trump in New Hampshire.

Good. I hoped she would come bouncing back one more time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The market seems to have responded favorably to the second letter. :cool:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

OttoVonBismarck

The phrase "650,000 emails" on his computer suggests he was using something like Outlook and had never purged his files at all, probably for years. I'm assuming it wasn't actually a web based email service (or we'd have heard about the search warrants being served on Google or etc), so this was probably Carlos's only email inbox for his whole business/personal life. Probably 50% of those were outright spam. Another huge chunk probably had no addressees involved at all with the state department.

I mean you can easily filter based on the domain of the recipients/sender. If the email wasn't sent by Huma, or the chain didn't have any state.gov or clintonemail.com on it, then it likely wasn't pertinent at all to the FBI investigation.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 07, 2016, 01:59:35 PM
The phrase "650,000 emails" on his computer suggests he was using something like Outlook and had never purged his files at all, probably for years. I'm assuming it wasn't actually a web based email service (or we'd have heard about the search warrants being served on Google or etc), so this was probably Carlos's only email inbox for his whole business/personal life. Probably 50% of those were outright spam. Another huge chunk probably had no addressees involved at all with the state department.

I mean you can easily filter based on the domain of the recipients/sender. If the email wasn't sent by Huma, or the chain didn't have any state.gov or clintonemail.com on it, then it likely wasn't pertinent at all to the FBI investigation.

How many of the 650,000 were replies to Wiener's dick pics, one wonders.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2016, 02:24:29 PM

When ya got it, flaunt it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 12:51:25 PM
I don't know how the American government works.
Once/If Trump gets his hands on it that won't be an issue anymore

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2016, 02:24:29 PM

Why would one wonder about that? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.