2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 10:36:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2016, 10:30:43 PM
Ugh, a model UN nerd.  :rolleyes:

Suck it, jock boy.  I banged my first married chick on a model UN trip.  Purple Helmets were: deployed

I don't know about married chicks, but I hooked up on at least one model UN trip...  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Fate on November 06, 2016, 10:31:20 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 06, 2016, 10:08:45 PM
In India Muslims have had to learn that they do not get to implement Sharia law and cut off people's heads and stone women to death and that they have to exist in a society in which all rules are not imposed by Muslims on other religions. Because of that Indian Muslims are much better behaved than those from MENA countries, and also most that qualify for immigration are highly educated, the highly educated as a rule don't buy into most of the stupidity inherent with Islam

I think India does have Sharia law(s) for Muslims.

Well India is a federal state, I don't know a ton about their laws so I'm sure some states, for some issues, have some legalized form of Sharia. But that's not really what we're talking about, but rather the imposition on all of society Islamic law--this is common in Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran. India has a system of courts where you can appeal decisions, and ultimately the secular Indian courts can have a say on all legal matters--which is an important protection against certain abuses. Die hard Muslims could not tolerate this situation.

I know one common issue is dealing with women who marry Muslims and convert to Islam, but who are then pressured or forced by their Hindu family to renounce their conversion, or sometimes it is claimed they never intended to convert, but their husbands kind of "made them." Indian law doesn't allow a Muslim husband to force his wife to remain Muslim in perpetuity, but in a country like Iran or Saudi Arabia such a thing would be obvious--apostasy is a capital offense there anyway.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2016, 10:30:00 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2016, 10:15:37 PM
Except that it's a consistent pattern with him.  Or are we forgiving his entire history as a discount-rate Jaron?

I thought it was pretty fucking basic knowledge that Indonesia had the world's largest Muslim population (and was the world's 4th most populous nation).  And one of the least likely to commit terrorism, for what it's worth.

Or maybe it was because that one year I represented Indonesia in the Security Council at a Model UN... :nerd:

Fate's a doctor, that means for the last ten years he's learned nothing about anything not related to health and medicine, and has probably forgotten a lot of what he did know.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 10:36:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2016, 10:30:43 PM
Ugh, a model UN nerd.  :rolleyes:

Suck it, jock boy.  I banged my first married chick on a model UN trip.  Purple Helmets were: deployed

Me, a jock?  :lmfao:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hamilcar

Religious law in India relates to family matter: marriage, divorce, inheritance. The remainder of the law is, at least in principle, totally secular.

jimmy olsen

Despicable.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-rolls-out-anti-semitic-closing-ad?utm_content=buffer3d9e2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

QuoteTrump Rolls Out Anti-Semitic Closing Ad
ByJosh MarshallPublishedNovember 5, 2016, 8:22 PM EDT

Take a moment to look at this closing ad from Donald Trump

From a technical and thematic perspective it's a well made ad. It's also packed with anti-Semitic dog whistles, anti-Semitic tropes and anti-Semitic vocabulary. I'm not even sure whether it makes sense to call them dog whistles. The four readily identifiable American bad guys in the ad are Hillary Clinton, George Soros (Jewish financier), Janet Yellen (Jewish Fed Chair) and Lloyd Blankfein (Jewish Goldman Sachs CEO).

The Trump narration immediately preceding Soros and Yellin proceeds as follows: "The establishment has trillions of dollars at stake in this election. For those who control the levers of power in Washington [start Soros] and for the global [start Yellen] special interests [stop Yellen]. They partner with these people [start Clinton] who don't have your good in mind."

For Blankfein: "It's a global power structure that is responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth and put that money into the [start Blankein] pockets of a handful of large corporations [stop Blankfein] and political entities."

These are standard anti-Semitic themes and storylines, using established anti-Semitic vocabulary lined up with high profile Jews as the only Americans other than Clinton who are apparently relevant to the story. As you can see by my transcription, the Jews come up to punctuate specific key phrases. Soros: "those who control the levers of power in Washington"; Yellen "global special interests"; Blankfein "put money into the pockets of handful of large corporations."

This is an anti-Semitic ad every bit as much as the infamous Jesse Helms 'white hands' ad or the Willie Horton ad were anti-African-American racist ads. Which is to say, really anti-Semitic. You could even argue that it's more so, given certain linguistic similarities with anti-Semitic propaganda from the 1930s. But it's not a contest. This is an ad intended to appeal to anti-Semites and spread anti-Semitic ideas. That's the only standard that really matters.

This is intentional and by design. It is no accident.

Trump has electrified anti-Semites and racist groups across the country. His own campaign has repeatedly found itself speaking to anti-Semites, tweeting their anti-Semitic memes, retweeting anti-Semites. His campaign manager, Steven Bannon, is an anti-Semite. The Breitbart News site he ran and will continue running after the campaign has become increasingly open in the last year with anti-Semitic attacks and politics.

Beyond that, this shouldn't surprise us for a broader reason. Authoritarian, xenophobic political movements, which the Trump campaign unquestionably is, are driven by tribalism and 'us vs them' exclusion of outsiders. This may begin with other groups - Mexican immigrants, African-Americans, Muslims. It almost always comes around to Jews.

It's true there is son-in-law Jared Kushner, a Jew and Ivanka, who converted to Judaism. But this isn't terribly surprising. Kushner appears to be conscienceless. And as I noted here, there is a storied history of anti-Semites being happy to distinguish between good Jews and bad Jews.

There's been a lot of discussion of anti-Semitism and the Trump campaign but a fierce resistance to coming to grips with the fact that anti-Semitism is a key driving force of the Trump campaign, that the campaign itself is an anti-Semitic one even though the great majority of Trump's supporters are not anti-Semites. When he closes out his campaign with a blatantly anti-Semitic ad, it's time to rethink that resistance.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

I wonder what happened in North Carolina? It is a mystery.  :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Voter registration lists in Southern states must contain race information.

OttoVonBismarck

Ehh, North Carolina had a set of laws on the books that were literally designed to suppress African American voting, the Supreme Court struck them down. Then the State GOP leadership basically said "well, this failed at the State level, but maybe county governments could basically do the same thing anyway", that's largely what has happened since most counties in North Carolina are GOP controlled. In fact, I think maybe all of them are. Since none of this has been litigated it's basically affecting the election since the State level rules that were struck down are, to varying degrees, being implemented county-by-county.

Valmy

Yeah if these are based on exit polls how can they possible know that number so exactly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2016, 09:12:31 PM
Grumbler voted to ostracize Themistocles.

He actually delivered the cock to Asclepius.  And boy, was Asclepius surprised.

I love this forum. :D
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Fate

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 06, 2016, 10:45:50 PM
Religious law in India relates to family matter: marriage, divorce, inheritance. The remainder of the law is, at least in principle, totally secular.

All that's important is that you can have 4 wives legally. Time to retire in Mumbai.  :cool:

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.