2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

garbon

Yeah Obama had a go at him about that too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Makes you wonder what the staff are going to have to take away from him when he's in the Oval Office.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2016, 02:07:55 AM
www.mediaite.com/online/trump-reponds-to-comeys-new-letter-you-cant-review-650000-new-emails-in-eight-days/

Trump responds to Comey's 2nd letter pretty much as expected.

I.e. neither the would be POTUS nor his national security advisor have the chops to be hired as an entry level paralegal.  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

I love that the alt right can't grasp the concept of key words and forensic IT. I mean I thought Milo was supposed to be tech savvy...

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 11:08:11 AM
I love that the alt right can't grasp the concept of key words and forensic IT. I mean I thought Milo was supposed to be tech savvy...

On the one hand you can't rely just on keywords and automated searching.  Someone still has to pour over all the emails.

But it's the freakin FBI we're talking about.  Take a room full of agents and you can go through 650,00 in a week no problem.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2016, 11:15:14 AM

On the one hand you can't rely just on keywords and automated searching.  Someone still has to pour over all the emails.

But it's the freakin FBI we're talking about.  Take a room full of agents and you can go through 650,00 in a week no problem.

Not all of them, though, presumably. You isolate a sample and then people have to read through them - but I would be very surprised if every one of 650,000 emails was opened and read at some point by a human being.

Syt

Also, I presume not all emails involved Clinton. So you first filter for all relevant email addresses and aliases, then check for duplicates of previous emails. Whatever is left is what you need to "look" at in more detail.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 11:20:11 AM

Not all of them, though, presumably. You isolate a sample and then people have to read through them - but I would be very surprised if every one of 650,000 emails was opened and read at some point by a human being.

If you want maximum review though, it can still be done.  Take 30 agents - thats 22,000 emails each.  Given em five days to do it - now you're at 4400 emails a day.  Assuming you're just scanning over most of them (why do I think Carlos Danger probably got a lot of spam emails) that's very doable.

Berkut

The ability of the FBI to simply brute force an investigationis kind of awesome.

I was listening to a podcase about the una-bomber, and they were interviewing one of the lead investigators.

They got a letter that was sent to the NYT that they analyzed, and they found an impression on the letter that said something like "Call D. Lewis at 7" (I don't recall the actual name). This looked like something that someone had written on another piece of paper resting on top of the letter - it was an impression in the page.

Thinking this was their break, they sent agents out from every single one of the 50+ national FBI offices to interview ever single possible combination of "D. Lewis" in the USA. It was of course several thousand possible people. They tried to interview all of them to see if any of them might have an idea about who this person who was supposed to call them at 7 might be...

So after these thousands of interviews that turned up hundreds of leads...they got nowhere.

Eventually they went back to the NYTs, and talked to the mail room guy. He said something like "D. Lewis? Oh yeah, that must be Dan Lewis, my friend! I jotted a note to myself to call him..."

Turns out he was the one who created the impression on the letter.

But still, pretty impressive that they interviewed every single possible combination in the country!

Right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I still chuckle every time I read "Carlos Danger". What a ridiculous man.

CountDeMoney

More like using basic email forensics tools that screen for timestamps, POP3 and SMTP data, and other E-fingerprints and processes against the database of existing emails.

Let's not romanticize this and make it more complicated than it actually is.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2016, 12:02:20 PM
But still, pretty impressive that they interviewed every single possible combination in the country!

Right?

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2016, 12:05:20 PM
I still chuckle every time I read "Carlos Danger". What a ridiculous man.

It is the most awesome cyberchat name ever, at least since Mono was using the moniker of "Johnny Hung."

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014