2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on October 28, 2016, 11:16:54 PM
But that's my point. A feedback loop of like-minded people living in the same states.

You want to live next to derfetusfacefucker, be my guest.

Zoupa

I spent 5 days in Kansas visiting friends last year. I did my part :frog:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 11:11:49 PM
I agree the issues here are more likely political than legal.

So why are you arguing about exclusionary rules (warrants are to be narrowly drawn and executed)?

No they are legal.  You are thinking like a prosecutor not a citizen.  Warrants are narrow to protect the rights of people, period.  The exclusionary rule is just one mechanism for enforcing that principle, hell it didn't even exist for most of the country's history.  Innocent people - who gain no benefit from an exclusionary rule - are just as entitled to fourth amendment protection as guilty people.  Whether there is exclusion or not, government agents don't have the legal authority to seek overboard warrants or to abuse the power to  search and seize documents when granted,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Imagine you read a story about an election in Blechstan.  11 days before the election, the Minister of Police for Blechstan, who happens to belong to Party A, suddenly announces that he is looking into evidence that might bear on the criminality of the candidate of Party B.  The Minister admits he hasn't looked at the evidence and doesn't know whether it has any bearing on the candidate at all, but nonetheless "feels" the public should know this information.

Can't speak for anyone else but the phrase that would jump to my mind is "banana republic"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

You have a reality TV star who promises to jail his political opponent running for president. The banana republic perception is well established. ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on October 28, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Pretty much. Democrat votes are concentrated in urban districts. When you're winning a place like Baltimore city with 90% of the vote, 39% is wasted.

That's not gerrymandering.  That's lots of Democrats living close to each other.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2016, 10:05:01 PM
If you monkeys spent the time to read the Politico Magazine piece I posted recently, you'd know that it's all probably already out there--

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-emails-2016-server-state-department-fbi-214307

QuoteAbedin, for her part, found that it was difficult to print from the State Department email system, so she'd often forward emails to her Yahoo email, Clintonmail.com accounts, or even another account that she'd previously used to support the campaign activities of her husband, Anthony Weiner. And there was a lot to print: Clinton didn't like reading long emails—the BlackBerry font was too small—so she'd often forward such stuff to staff to print. Deluged by tasks and information, Abedin reported that she'd often print and pass along documents to Clinton "without reading them." The FBI also uncovered hundreds of emails sent to one of the Clinton family's staff on the presidentclinton.com domain requesting that he print emails for her to read. Printing problems dogged Clinton's team as they traveled the world, too. While special Mobile Communications Teams would outfit hotel rooms overseas with computers hooked up to the State Department network for Abedin or Hanley to use, the FBI found, "it was not uncommon for [aide Monica] Hanley to use her personal Gmail account to print from the mobile DoS unclassified terminal because even though she was using a DoS computer, the DoS connection was unreliable."

The next year, when her staff tried to upgrade her to an iPad 2, they had even less success. Abedin emailed Cooper on August 18, 2011, saying simply, "She doesn't like ipad 2." Clinton instead gifted the brand new device to Monica Hanley. There was no mistake that Hanley got a hand-me-down: When she logged on for the first time, the device still said "H's iPad," so Hanley wiped it clean before using it. As Hanley told the FBI, "It was not uncommon for Clinton to gift Abedin and Hanley with some of her personal items she no longer wanted."

Inert grenade thrown and "Fire in the hole!" shouted anyway.

So is Huma Hillary's lesbian lover or not?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on October 29, 2016, 01:27:33 AM
You have a reality TV star who promises to jail his political opponent running for president. The banana republic perception is well established. ;)

Putin gave a speech just the other day where he said that we are not a banana republic.  :(

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 10:41:24 PM

Second, if the warrant was validly granted and properly limited police are always able to seize evidence of other crimes even if it wasn't what they were specifically looking for.  You execute a drug warrant and you find a dead body, police don't just ignore the dead body.

But this is more like going into another flat to the one you had a warrant on, because there is a strange smell coming out of it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2016, 02:31:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 10:41:24 PM

Second, if the warrant was validly granted and properly limited police are always able to seize evidence of other crimes even if it wasn't what they were specifically looking for.  You execute a drug warrant and you find a dead body, police don't just ignore the dead body.

But this is more like going into another flat to the one you had a warrant on, because there is a strange smell coming out of it.

A better analogy might be: having served a warrant on one flat, found a body with gunshot wounds, then later served a warrant on a different flat for an unrelated crime, but stumbled across another body in there, also with gunshot wounds and with matching ballistics from the first.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 29, 2016, 12:01:15 AM
Imagine you read a story about an election in Blechstan.  11 days before the election, the Minister of Police for Blechstan, who happens to belong to Party A, suddenly announces that he is looking into evidence that might bear on the criminality of the candidate of Party B.  The Minister admits he hasn't looked at the evidence and doesn't know whether it has any bearing on the candidate at all, but nonetheless "feels" the public should know this information.

Can't speak for anyone else but the phrase that would jump to my mind is "banana republic"

Are you sure that

A) Comey is the one who announced the continuation of the investigation to the public;

and

B) a warrant is required for examination of emails sent or received by an official of the government covered by a security clearance?

Legbiter

I'm already pre-sad about this election being over.  :thumbsup:  :(
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2016, 02:02:15 AM
Quote from: Fate on October 28, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Pretty much. Democrat votes are concentrated in urban districts. When you're winning a place like Baltimore city with 90% of the vote, 39% is wasted.

That's not gerrymandering.  That's lots of Democrats living close to each other.

Hmmm.  Maryland 3rd District.

upload gambar
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2016, 05:40:40 AM
Hmmm.  Maryland 3rd District.

Heh, I used to be in the 3rd District.  Then some blacks had babies, and they moved the line to the other side of 795.

Funny how my house doesn't move, but my congressman does.

Eddie Teach

I'd imagine Blechstan to be somewhere in the Middle East or Central Asia where's the climate is not suitable to Growing bananas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?