2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I'm not saying that 538 is not good at what it is, relatively speaking.  I'm just saying that mentioning the accuracy of their 1-day forecasts is not that useful when we're discussing how much we should be worried about 6-week forecasts.  They maybe be better than others, but still not be very useful that far out.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 26, 2016, 07:48:16 PM
No one else is nearly as accurate.

I doubt that. The day before a national election it is usually quite easy to pick the winner in 45 or so states. Primaries are also usually rather easy.

What performance do betting odds have?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2016, 08:01:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 26, 2016, 07:48:16 PM
No one else is nearly as accurate.

I doubt that. The day before a national election it is usually quite easy to pick the winner in 45 or so states. Primaries are also usually rather easy.

What performance do betting odds have?
Same problem applies with evaluating the performance of the betting markets.  If you don't attach time element to the performance, these metrics are useless.  Betting odds can fluctuate wildly over the history of the contract, and you're ignoring all of that movement if all you care about is 1-day prediction.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2016, 08:04:53 PM

Same problem applies with evaluating the performance of the betting markets.  If you don't attach time element to the performance, these metrics are useless.  Betting odds can fluctuate wildly over the history of the contract, and you're ignoring all of that movement if all you care about is 1-day prediction.

I know, but as a sporadic reader of 538, it seems the short term predictions line up well with betting odds. Which is to say, I doubt Tim's suggestion that Nate Silver is way better than everyone else. There just aren't very many upsets.

I agree with you 1 day performance is dramatically different than 6 week performance, I'm just arguing with Tim on another point he brought up. Nate Silver was very bearish on Trump during the lead up to the primaries, and while that is just a single data point, it does suggest he isn't great at longer term predictions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Which way you planning on voting right now Lust?

CountDeMoney

Trump, obviously. Our troops will need translators on the ground in Mexico.

lustindarkness

I live in Alabama where Trump will win easy. I can vote for Gary, or Deadpool, or Batman, or...
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

In a campaign of already bizarre things, this campaign got Will and Grace crew back together for a 9 minute episode.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

This was funny...or cringe worthy. Maybe bit of both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKBBA_nwqc

QuoteBob Schieffer grills Trump surrogate: "Can you admit you have no evidence?"

Liep

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2016, 04:17:01 PM
This was funny...or cringe worthy. Maybe bit of both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKBBA_nwqc

QuoteBob Schieffer grills Trump surrogate: "Can you admit you have no evidence?"

More the latter.

Arguing has been beaten to a pulp and left to die.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk