2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Lol, "nice guy", nice try.  Because Mitt Romnyi was such a Nixonian throwback.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 10:09:48 AM

Was anyone terrible excited about Mitt? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Not sure what you're trying to say, Seedy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

The guy who force shaved some gay dude and left his dog on the roof of his car? He was kinda an asshole.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 10:28:30 AM
Not sure what you're trying to say, Seedy.

To say John Hunstman is too much of a pussy "nice guy" to get through a "dirty" primary process is a cop-out.

In short, I'm calling your bullshit explanation as bullshit.  He's just not your brand of batshit crazy.

derspiess

Disagree.  I think Mitt is a nice guy and neither of those have jack squat to do with his political persona. 

Anyway, Mitt succeeded in winning the independent vote (which is supposed to be the big bonus to running a moderate candidate) and still lost.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2014, 10:30:46 AM

The guy who force shaved some gay dude and left his dog on the roof of his car? He was kinda an asshole.

That's just from being a rich douchebag, that's got nothing to do with political acumen.

Eddie Teach

I also remember news stories about how all the candidates got along ok personally with each other except for Romney.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 10:44:40 AM
To say John Hunstman is too much of a pussy "nice guy" to get through a "dirty" primary process is a cop-out.

In short, I'm calling your bullshit explanation as bullshit.  He's just not your brand of batshit crazy.

I'm calling your bullshit explanation of my explanation as bullshit, so there.  I explicitly stated I'd be okay with Huntsman if I thought he had a chance of winning in the general.

As a general rule I follow the Buckley doctrine of supporting the most electable candidate in the primary. 

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 10:44:40 AM

I'm calling your bullshit explanation of my explanation as bullshit, so there.  I explicitly stated I'd be okay with Huntsman if I thought he had a chance of winning in the general.

As a general rule I follow the Buckley doctrine of supporting the most electable candidate in the primary. 

I think that is what people who want an excuse to not support a moderate candidate say so they can make sure they torpedo the moderate candidates in the general and push for the nutjobs.

Your basic argument here is that the problem that got Obama elected was that the Republican option just wasn't radical enough. Which is hilarious.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2014, 12:16:02 PM
I think that is what people who want an excuse to not support a moderate candidate say so they can make sure they torpedo the moderate candidates in the general and push for the nutjobs.

Some people might, dunno.  Not me.  I wanted Giuliani or Fred Thompson in 2008 and was fully behind Mitt for the 2012 primaries.

QuoteYour basic argument here is that the problem that got Obama elected was that the Republican option just wasn't radical enough. Which is hilarious.

I love when you tell me what I'm thinking and saying :lol:

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 12:25:45 PM

Well, what about him makes you think that he's unelectable in the general, or at least less electable than Giuliani or Thompson?

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 12:28:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 12:25:45 PM

Well, what about him makes you think that he's unelectable in the general, or at least less electable than Giuliani or Thompson?

The "nice guy" thing I mentioned earlier.

garbon

Just got that Hil book and damn, there are so many photos. I've never needed this many photos of Hillary Clinton.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess