2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2014, 09:46:14 PM
Oh, derspeiss, my copy of her book is supposed to come tomorrow in time for me to use as beach reading! :cool:

Hope you got the 35% discount or whatever they were marked down to.  I'll wait a few weeks & pick up my copy at the Dollar Tree.

Also, try to hold back your tears when you read the part about her & Bill leaving the White House dead broke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2014, 12:34:17 AM
Has anyone heard anything from Huntsman? He is still, by far, the sanest Republican out there. He is what the Republican Party ought to be, and if the Republicans were what Huntsman is, they would crush the Dems easily.

If every registered voter were Berkut, you'd be right.  I'd actually be okay with him if he stood a chance to win in a general election, but he's frankly too much of a pussy and would get skewered.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 08:08:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2014, 09:46:14 PM
Oh, derspeiss, my copy of her book is supposed to come tomorrow in time for me to use as beach reading! :cool:

Hope you got the 35% discount or whatever they were marked down to.

Of course, books are almost always marked down on Amazon. I did splurge with the extra 6 bucks to get hardcover instead of kindle version.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 08:10:30 AM
If every registered voter were Berkut, you'd be right.  I'd actually be okay with him if he stood a chance to win in a general election, but he's frankly too much of a pussy and would get skewered.

I hear many people on the Dem side excited about him but I've yet to see, even the moderate Republicans I know, have more than vague pleasantries to say about him.

In fact, I can't even feel myself particularly moved for him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Bull.  After Bush, Americans don't want an aggressive president.  That's the mistake the Republicans have made in the last two presidential election cycles.  There's only so far the presidential impetus can take an agenda, and when it's too aggressive, domestic policies suffer big time.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 19, 2014, 09:05:59 AM
Bull.  After Bush, Americans don't want an aggressive president.  That's the mistake the Republicans have made in the last two presidential election cycles.  There's only so far the presidential impetus can take an agenda, and when it's too aggressive, domestic policies suffer big time.

I'm talking about the campaign.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 19, 2014, 09:05:59 AM

I don't get this.  Bush was arguably very effective in implementing his domestic agenda.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 18, 2014, 03:26:51 PM
You're thinking caucus, not primary, which tends to bring out the most committed voters and why it is also utterly irrelevant.

Rinse Grievous should've been fired after 2012's general election performance, like any national committee chair whose party got walloped for the White House;  instead, he was returned unanimously.  That tells me all I need to know about the party's approach at the state level: the GOP is off the rails, and when Bob Dole finally passes, that will be it for the real GOP As We Once Knew It.  It sure as shit isn't the one I served in the College Republicans for. 

As long as Iowa, NH and SC dictate the front-runners, anybody sane will run out of both time and money.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 09:31:49 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 18, 2014, 03:26:51 PM
You're thinking caucus, not primary, which tends to bring out the most committed voters and why it is also utterly irrelevant.

Rinse Grievous should've been fired after 2012's general election performance, like any national committee chair whose party got walloped for the White House;  instead, he was returned unanimously.  That tells me all I need to know about the party's approach at the state level: the GOP is off the rails, and when Bob Dole finally passes, that will be it for the real GOP As We Once Knew It.  It sure as shit isn't the one I served in the College Republicans for. 

As long as Iowa, NH and SC dictate the front-runners, anybody sane will run out of both time and money.

"Served", lol.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2014, 12:34:17 AM
Has anyone heard anything from Huntsman? He is still, by far, the sanest Republican out there. He is what the Republican Party ought to be, and if the Republicans were what Huntsman is, they would crush the Dems easily.

"Too much of a pussy" = "not insane about climate change/whore pills/vaccines enough"

Which is a shame.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 09:33:37 AM
"Served", lol.

Yeah, I was elected and everything.  But then shithouse-crazy mice like you started showing up, bitching about whore pills and the fun was over.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 09:34:29 AM
"Too much of a pussy" = "not insane about climate change/whore pills/vaccines enough"

No. 

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 09:36:53 AM
Yeah, I was elected and everything.  But then shithouse-crazy mice like you started showing up, bitching about whore pills and the fun was over.

At both Marshall and Delaware, we toed the party line and respected teh establishment.  And did some other things I won't mention in mixed company.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 09:39:27 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 09:34:29 AM

No. 

What does "too much of a pussy" mean then?

The knock on him from hard core nutjob Republicans is that he is the anti-Tea Party. He believes that the Republican Party should actually, you know, govern rather than try to prevent actual governance from happening. Is that what you mean by "pussy"?

Or is that the has publically stated that he defers to the views of scientists on scientific matters? Another huge knock on him from your "party of the stoopid" faction, I know. Is that what defines a "pussy"?

If not, then what do you mean?

Huntsman is a classic center-Conservative Republican.

Your right, if the world were full of pussies like me, he would be a shoe in. People who hold to core Republican principles, rather than reactionary populist ignorance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

As in he's too much of a "nice guy" to get through an inevitably dirty general campaign and he'd probably fail to energize the GOP base.  If I thought he had a decent chance in the general, I'd be okay with him.  It wouldn't kill us to have a moderate Republican president and I'd obviously prefer that to any likely Democrat.

Nice little rant there, though.