And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 10:28:45 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 20, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Polls show Clinton slightly recovering despite Islamist terrorist attacks. I'd call that good news. :)

Surely polls won't have been able to incorporate that yet.

Yeah I would guess they would just be catching up with Trump's Friday afternoon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2016, 09:53:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 08:42:48 AM
Skittles.  By all means, more racism please.

Sometimes a Skittle is just a Skittle.

You just keep standing your ground, creepy ass cracker.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 20, 2016, 04:48:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2016, 02:30:18 AM
Interesting fact.  We actually caught the guy who organized and launched the attack on Benghazi.  He says he was angry about the movie. 

That is completely irrelevant. Many rapists also claim they were provoked to rape by a short skirt, or a provocative make-up of the victim.

If a movie can provoke you to murder people, then you are a dangerous animal that should be put down - there is no equivocation or ambiguity about it. Anyone who has any "buts" about that is dangerously eroding our liberties.

Well, it is Trump orthodoxy that the movie had nothing to do with the attacks.  I thought that was what you were getting at.  Still, driving the Muslim recruit to suicide, good?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2016, 09:58:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2016, 09:53:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 08:42:48 AM
Skittles.  By all means, more racism please.

Sometimes a Skittle is just a Skittle.

I cannot imagine why people don't buy your "I don't support Trump!" claims...

Meh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2016, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2016, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2016, 09:39:59 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 20, 2016, 09:37:57 AM
So basically, he would be our Kaiser Willy. :P

Only with worse taste (yes, it' s possible).  :hmm:

But would he challenge Britain's naval dominance?

If he claimed he would start a dreadnaught building program, half of Languish would promptly switch to his camp.  :lol:

Don't play with my emotions like that! :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urMYjS97omY

Samantha B on Fallon, NBC and others are their excitement of Trump for ratings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 10:28:45 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 20, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Polls show Clinton slightly recovering despite Islamist terrorist attacks. I'd call that good news. :)

Surely polls won't have been able to incorporate that yet.

Probably not fully, but the newest poll (13,000 LVs, with Hill +5) concluded on Sunday, and the stabbing and first bombing happened on Saturday.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

HVC

Looks like Trunp used his charities to pay off his lawsuits.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 20, 2016, 12:07:50 PM
Looks like Trunp used his charities to pay off his lawsuits.

And of course he doesn't actually donate any money to his foundation - he gets other people to do that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2016, 08:54:29 AM
I was thinking "It's 1939, and we replace "Syrian Refugees" with "Jewish Refugees" in that analogy ... ".

Heh, I know it is sorta Godwinizing, but the temptation to do so is irresistible.

Really you could replace it with anything that involves some positive level of risk.  The skittles could represent "Americans Exercising 2nd Amendment Rights" or coal mine emissions, or people driving cars.  The Skittles could represent "white people who support Trump" - after all some small % of that population will cause deaths of other people over the next few years.  It could represent any group of people at all.

The upshot from that line of argument is that the only way to be safe is either deport every person in America or put everyone under protective custodial detention. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2016, 08:02:18 AM
My main concern isn't Trump himself. . . .
It's the people around him, some of whom he'll choose and others he may not, that bother me. I have a feeling they'll be some outright hateful morons who will take roost in the Executive branch, create little fiefdoms, and rule like kings without much coordination or strategy, and really fuck shit up for the rest of us trying to just muddle through 4 years of Trumptopia.

There's certainly nothing to suggest he is gathering lots of super-competent people to advise him on policy and fill key appointments.  His economic advisory team consists of one legit academic economist - the rest are a bunch of PE/hedge fund/real estate guys, many already known for "crank" views.  His foreign policy team remains a mystery - though one of the few names that repeatedly comes up is Carter Page, an "energy consultant" known for his strong pro-Putin leanings.  As I mentioned earlier, his presumptive energy secretary is a an oil man who recently proposed collusion between OPEC and Russia to raise oil prices.  He has also named Sarah Palin as a potential cabinet member.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2016, 02:08:26 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2016, 08:02:18 AM
My main concern isn't Trump himself. . . .
It's the people around him, some of whom he'll choose and others he may not, that bother me. I have a feeling they'll be some outright hateful morons who will take roost in the Executive branch, create little fiefdoms, and rule like kings without much coordination or strategy, and really fuck shit up for the rest of us trying to just muddle through 4 years of Trumptopia.

There's certainly nothing to suggest he is gathering lots of super-competent people to advise him on policy and fill key appointments.  His economic advisory team consists of one legit academic economist - the rest are a bunch of PE/hedge fund/real estate guys, many already known for "crank" views.  His foreign policy team remains a mystery - though one of the few names that repeatedly comes up is Carter Page, an "energy consultant" known for his strong pro-Putin leanings.  As I mentioned earlier, his presumptive energy secretary is a an oil man who recently proposed collusion between OPEC and Russia to raise oil prices.  He has also named Sarah Palin as a potential cabinet member.

Having conspiratorial cranks running State, Treasury, and God forbid, the Fed, would be the worst case scenario. I don't know how far he'd get trying to replace Yellen with someone like, oh, Larry Kudlow though. He might not care enough to push someone like that into such a position.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.