News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2016, 10:09:59 PM
What a mess of a country you guys live in...

I have a 2nd bedroom available for yankee refugees. Must like cats and asian food.

I could see Seedy living it up in Quebec...he could also pretend at being French.  :P

The Minsky Moment

I have a 2nd bedroom available for yankee refugees. Must like cats and asian food.

You don't get it.  No place is safe!!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

lustindarkness

Sweet and Sour Cat? :mmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Dibs!

Zoupa

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 19, 2016, 10:18:41 PM

I could see Seedy living it up in Quebec...he could also pretend at being French.  :P

I'd set him up with an almond-eyed honey in no time. Win-win.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2016, 10:23:15 PM

Dibs!

Hehe you really do love the place eh Yi?

CountDeMoney

When I was in the College Republicans in 1988, there were so many of us that would've simply bailed right out of the party if Pat Robertson had become the nominee.  A long shot, sure; but he was that vile and loathsome, and there would've been no problem jumping ship.  Same during the run-up to 1992, when it came to Pat Buchanan--although not a threat either, but crazy in his own way.  Even Poppy Bush took a big dump on David Duke when he ran, and he was out on the margins that didn't even warrant the President's attention:  but he did it anyway.  Hell, I've even known dyed-in-the-wool Democrats that thought Jackson '88 or Jerry Brown '92 were simply unworkable candidates, and rightly so.

Preibus, Palin, Giuliani, the rest of the Fox & Friends, I can understand that. Obama/The Clintons say the sky is blue, it's going to be purple.  But guys like Ryan, and even McCain...I simply don't understand this irrational denial of even basic facts, this morally bankrupt complicity.  I don't like Mitt Romney--and Jeb Bush even moreso--for a lot of reasons, but I have to give them props for sticking to their guns on Trump.

Candidates like Trump, they're always on the periphery for a reason: because they are simply not realistic choices. But this joke as gone too far, and now it's too close to being real. 

If he gets to the White House, people are going to blame Hillary for "not winning"--but that's just another variation of a theme, the same back-door endorsement of Trumpism, born out of cowardice. It's unfortunate. Vladimir Putin. Kim Jong Un. David Duke. This is the crew people are tossing in with. 

I've read where there used to be a saying back in the days of Mao--maybe Mono's heard it before, Xiacob may even have tripped across it--in the old days of the Party, when the question, "Where were you during the Long March?" wasn't as much about your past as it was about your credibility:  where were you when the Party was at it weakest; what were you doing when things were at their darkest; what was your contribution.  One day, these Republicans that are supporting him--through denial and silence, outright insanity--will have to answer to where they were during the GOP's own Long March.

derspiess

I don't think it's that dire.  Our system is strong enough to withstand a Trump.  Or shit, even a Hillary for that matter ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2016, 11:48:13 PM
Hillary now blaming Trump for triggering terrorists:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/19/hillary-clinton-donald-trumps-comments-have-been-u/

I so hope that cunt loses.

Why is that, Marti?  How is that any different with Dubya's "bring it on" to the evildoers?  Why is being measured a cunt thing?

CountDeMoney

I will say one thing about a Trump presidency: the likelihood of his abrogation of our NATO obligations when his best buddy Putin decides to roll the tanks into Poland is almost going to be worth it, if only to see Martinus get roped up and tossed into prison under Putin's LGBT laws.  Now that could be a silver lining.  A fag M&A lawyer in political prison, no wine glasses in sight.  Yeah, I could see that. 

Martinus

Yeah right.  :rolleyes:

A Muslim who gets "radicalized" and commits acts of terror to me is a savage, a rabid animal that should be put down - just as a rapist who gets excited by a short skirt and rapes a woman. In both cases, they are not fit to live in a civilized society if they cannot exercise self control not to do this.

The type of rhetorics she is using is essentially siding with the perp - a murderer, a rapist etc. - to blame the provocation. It's the same as she did with Benghazi where she blamed that on the anti-Muslim movie. It's no different than the rhetorics of those who said the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists got what they deserved.

It shows to me her fundamental failure to grasp the basic principles of the Western liberal democracy - much farther than anything Trump has said. I don't want someone like that to lead the Western world.