Who do You Guess Bombed the Boston Marathon?

Started by Admiral Yi, April 17, 2013, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blah blah blah

Jihadists
13 (25%)
Some White Guys (gun rights, Aryan nation, militia, tea party, etc.)
17 (32.7%)
Lone Nut (Unabomber type)
14 (26.9%)
Crazy-ass conspiracy theory about profiting from a fall in the market
1 (1.9%)
Jaron
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2013, 08:29:59 PM
Random nut/bored kid.

Now that would truly be anti-climatic:  some little emo shit without the balls to stay home to cut himself to My Chemical Romance, trying to whack his girlfriend or impress Jodi Foster.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 08:25:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 08:15:10 PM
Voted lone nut, but I think the lone nut is Some White Guy.

I voted Jihadists, even though I don't believe it's plural;  I think it's a lone nut Jihadist, in the Faisal Shahzad vein.  Maybe with a buddy.

I really just don't see some anti-government/anti-tax/anti-Obama/Co-Chairman, State Central Committee of the Republican Party of Iowa/survivalist/white supremacist Crazy White Dude doing this in Boston.  Not saying it's impossible, just saying the percentages are against it.

Ditto.  This just smells more like what the Faisal dude tried to do.  If the target had been a building full of federal bureaucrats, then I'd say it's a McVeigh type for sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Probably some jihadist wannabe.  Or Hitler.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 08:32:38 PM
Ditto.  This just smells more like what the Faisal dude tried to do.  If the target had been a building full of federal bureaucrats, then I'd say it's a McVeigh type for sure.

He had a pressure cooker in the back of that van as well.  Granted, he had a hell of a lot of other shit in there too, but I'm just sayin'.  It fits with the percentages.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 08:32:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 08:15:10 PM
Voted lone nut, but I think the lone nut is Some White Guy.

I voted Jihadists, even though I don't believe it's plural;  I think it's a lone nut Jihadist, in the Faisal Shahzad vein.  Maybe with a buddy.

I really just don't see some anti-government/anti-tax/anti-Obama/Co-Chairman, State Central Committee of the Republican Party of Iowa/survivalist/white supremacist Crazy White Dude doing this in Boston.  Not saying it's impossible, just saying the percentages are against it.

Why not Taxachussetts liberals?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

I was thinking the same thing.  Those guys don't like to play away games.  And Beantown is definitely hostile territory.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Camerus

Went with jihadist. As nobody's claimed responsibility, gonna go with lone or small group.

Incidentally, when this kind of thing happens, aren't there frequently groups that falsely claim responsibility?  Curious why nobody has tried to this time.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 17, 2013, 08:42:22 PM
Went with jihadist. As nobody's claimed responsibility, gonna go with lone or small group.

Incidentally, when this kind of thing happens, aren't there frequently groups that falsely claim responsibility?  Curious why nobody has tried to this time.

They don't want a GPS bomb in thier lap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

The only thing I've heard so far was the Pakistani Taliban NOT claiming any responsibility.

Their communique was probably tossed out very quickly from the cave they're hiding in, what with drones buzzing about.  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 08:47:41 PM

The only thing I've heard so far was the Pakistani Taliban NOT claiming any responsibility.

Their communique was probably tossed out very quickly from the cave they're hiding in, what with drones buzzing about.  :lol:

Yeah, I kind of got a kick out of that.  They wasted no time distancing themselves from the attack.