Who do You Guess Bombed the Boston Marathon?

Started by Admiral Yi, April 17, 2013, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blah blah blah

Jihadists
13 (25%)
Some White Guys (gun rights, Aryan nation, militia, tea party, etc.)
17 (32.7%)
Lone Nut (Unabomber type)
14 (26.9%)
Crazy-ass conspiracy theory about profiting from a fall in the market
1 (1.9%)
Jaron
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2013, 07:59:37 PM
Also, I personally haven't seen them release the video in question or publicize images of the person. That makes me think the investigators are still in that phase where they think there is a chance they can find him on their own.

Yeah, they're not putting that out there just yet for exactly that reason.  And if they have an idea who it is, they're already on to him and don't need to spook him with flashing his picture on the evening news.

mongers

Incidentally, why no North Korean option ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

For clarification, in the Lone Nut option I mean someone not espousing a cause listed elsewhere.  A lone jihadist would be a jihadist.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2013, 08:20:20 PM
For clarification, in the Lone Nut option I mean someone not espousing a cause listed elsewhere.  A lone jihadist would be a jihadist.

Well, poop.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

That would have been helpful to know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 08:21:03 PM

Well, poop.

Jihadist is still the superior choice. He could be a lone white American jihadist.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2013, 08:14:07 PM
So 11b4v, what's it going to take for you to admit you are wrong here?
Try a broomstick

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 08:15:10 PM
Voted lone nut, but I think the lone nut is Some White Guy.

I voted Jihadists, even though I don't believe it's plural;  I think it's a lone nut Jihadist, in the Faisal Shahzad vein.  Maybe with a buddy.

I really just don't see some anti-government/anti-tax/anti-Obama/Co-Chairman, State Central Committee of the Republican Party of Iowa/survivalist/white supremacist Crazy White Dude doing this in Boston.  Not saying it's impossible, just saying the percentages are against it.

11B4V

Noun   1.   Jihadist - a Muslim who is involved in a jihad
Moslem, Muslim - a believer in or follower of Islam

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2013, 08:17:01 PM
Incidentally, why no North Korean option ?

Because it's not an option the North Koreans would use?

11B4V

Quote from: Maximus on April 17, 2013, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2013, 08:14:07 PM
So 11b4v, what's it going to take for you to admit you are wrong here?
Try a broomstick

Sorry Raz, missed that one.

I'm not.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM