Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2013, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2013, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 05:27:20 AM
That is because, and this is my personal impression, deep down and excepting an extremely vocal fringe, you Yanks are largely speaking extremely reverential of your authority figures, and the president is the top dog amongst them. You may not like him, and despise government and bureaucracy, but damn, he's the motherfucking president.

I think you're confusing extreme reverence with a simple respect for the office.

Indeed. We talk a lot of shit about our presidents. :D

I covered that in the bolded part. You might talk shit about them, of course, that always happens in any democracy, but at the end of the day the president is, broadly speaking, extremely respected.

If you're talking a lot of shit about someone - where's the respect? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 11:50:29 AM
I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

Good point.

Not only that, but it's been pretty much argued here from the beginning here that Thatcher's legacy remains in modern day Britain and elsewhere today. In other words, the kids today are still feeling the results of her policies, and (rightly or wrongly) feel that they are negatively effected by them.

The problem with that is that every PM since has maintained them. Thatcher is a convenient target that makes the complainers feel good and brave rather than actually doing something about it, which would mean going after Cameron, Brown, Blair and Major.

This is more about the frustration of impotence rather than actually resolving any issues.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

I covered that in the bolded part. You might talk shit about them, of course, that always happens in any democracy, but at the end of the day the president is, broadly speaking, extremely respected.

What part of the US are you from?  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2013, 02:20:33 PM

I'm guessing a part where they haven't had any street parties to celebrate the death of a former president?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 02:26:02 PM

I'm guessing a part where they haven't had any street parties to celebrate the death of a former president?

So that's the division on whether or not you respect someone? How about wanting to name a water treatment sewage plant after a former president? Is that respectful?

http://wonkette.com/401221/george-w-bush-sewage-treatment-plant-one-step-closer-to-american-reality

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2013, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 02:26:02 PM

So that's the division on whether or not you respect someone? How about wanting to name a water treatment sewage plant after a former president? Is that respectful?

http://wonkette.com/401221/george-w-bush-sewage-treatment-plant-one-step-closer-to-american-reality

One of the fundamental building blocks of civilization? Clean water is a pre-requisite for life itself. Having a sewage treatment plant named after oneself is a tribute.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

Good point.

Not only that, but it's been pretty much argued here from the beginning here that Thatcher's legacy remains in modern day Britain and elsewhere today. In other words, the kids today are still feeling the results of her policies, and (rightly or wrongly) feel that they are negatively effected by them.

It doesn't just need to be that. I can see how a lot of people may be disgusted by her questionable record on human rights (support for Pinochet or apartheid, anti-gay policies) without being affected by it.

garbon

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 02:49:07 PM

Good point.

It doesn't just need to be that. I can see how a lot of people may be disgusted by her questionable record on human rights (support for Pinochet or apartheid, anti-gay policies) without being affected by it.

To the extent that you go and party after her death? Seems like you'd just be a person looking for an excuse to party given the number of people that have questionable records on that.

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on April 09, 2013, 02:05:26 PM

Good point.

The problem with that is that every PM since has maintained them. Thatcher is a convenient target that makes the complainers feel good and brave rather than actually doing something about it, which would mean going after Cameron, Brown, Blair and Major.

This is more about the frustration of impotence rather than actually resolving any issues.

But I can argue that they might feel that that is the problem. Thatcher started something that moved England so far right, that even the labour party is now a centrist, or centre-right party.
That's part of her legacy. I realize that to most of you thats a good thing. But there are some elements for whom it isn't.

And let's face it, I'l admit as well,  a lot of those out there partying are just partying for the hell of it. When I was in my 20s and the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series twice, I went out and partied. I have yet to actually see a baseball game.

But don't dismiss them just because they're young and weren't around in the 80s.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2013, 02:52:12 PM
But don't dismiss them just because they're young and weren't around in the 80s.

As CC said, I think the onus of justification falls to those that decide to have a party to celebrate the death of a fellow human.