And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2013, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 11:50:29 AM
I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

How many 20 year olds are venerating her?

Have you been to a Young Tories meeting recently? ;)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 10:57:45 AM
David Owen (founder of the SDP) obit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9979625/Margaret-Thatcher-they-underrated-her-and-always-paid-the-price.html

Quote from: David Owen
Nevertheless she was, after Clement Attlee, easily the best of our post-war prime ministers.

That's...surprising.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"Guns of Brixton" just came up randomly on my Zune when I did a "play all" :cool:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2013, 12:02:15 PM
I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

Perhaps, but on the other hand drinking beer to celebrate someone dying crosses more taboos than venerating monetarism.

Depends on the crowd, I'd say. :P

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2013, 12:32:39 PM

It's easy to venerate the dead and senile if the crazy lefties hate them :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Good point.

Not only that, but it's been pretty much argued here from the beginning here that Thatcher's legacy remains in modern day Britain and elsewhere today. In other words, the kids today are still feeling the results of her policies, and (rightly or wrongly) feel that they are negatively effected by them.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2013, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 07:32:32 AM
Not only miners were affected by her policies.

Definitely.  Are you suggesting that all those people celebrating are descendents of people affected by her policies?

I'm not sugesting anything, I don't know those people, I was just disputing your implied need to be a card-carrying unionized miner or a descendant of one as prerequisite for those attitudes.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2013, 01:33:18 PM

Good point.

Nope it's already been said why that's not a good point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2013, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2013, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 05:27:20 AM
That is because, and this is my personal impression, deep down and excepting an extremely vocal fringe, you Yanks are largely speaking extremely reverential of your authority figures, and the president is the top dog amongst them. You may not like him, and despise government and bureaucracy, but damn, he's the motherfucking president.

I think you're confusing extreme reverence with a simple respect for the office.

Indeed. We talk a lot of shit about our presidents. :D

I covered that in the bolded part. You might talk shit about them, of course, that always happens in any democracy, but at the end of the day the president is, broadly speaking, extremely respected.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 01:34:44 PM
I'm not sugesting anything, I don't know those people, I was just disputing your implied need to be a card-carrying unionized miner or a descendant of one as prerequisite for those attitudes.

I was pointing out that Jake was defending the anger against her on the basis of the harm done to those communities.

If you want to make the case that middle class 20 year old London wankers have a basis for celebrating her death, feel free to make it.

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2013, 12:32:39 PM

Or to Pdox OT.  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2013, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 01:34:44 PM

I was pointing out that Jake was defending the anger against her on the basis of the harm done to those communities.

If you want to make the case that middle class 20 year old London wankers have a basis for celebrating her death, feel free to make it.

Mining communities might have been her main target, and thats what has permeated the most in public conscience, but by no means were them the only ones. And Im not making the case for any celebration, dont put words in my mouth.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2013, 01:43:10 PM
And Im not making the case for any celebration, dont put words in my mouth.

I said "if."  Don't be such a hot-blooded Latin.