News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Agelastus, you are absolutely correct to point out that Thatcher was the result of a deeply divided Britain, not the cause. Maybe she made the divisions worse; but she did not create them.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

In a democracy the people cannot expect to escape being judged by its actions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2013, 10:33:49 AM
No, the VRWC was entirely different.  It was a reference to the other party's leadership and their media allies, not to "a large chink of the country."

No reason to insult poor overweight Bubba-Ray Wong.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on April 09, 2013, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2013, 10:33:49 AM
No, the VRWC was entirely different.  It was a reference to the other party's leadership and their media allies, not to "a large chink of the country."

No reason to insult poor overweight Bubba-Ray Wong.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

FWIW my wife showed appropriate sympathy when the subject of Thatcher came up last night.  She couldn't even remember at first why Argies hate her so much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

Today's Internet has been won by the authors of this article on yesterday's Dead Thatcher Party in Brixton:

http://m.vice.com/en_uk/read/making-friends-at-thatchers-hate-wake

QuoteIn 2013, class war looks like a mobile phone advert. How can anyone find this vulgar?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2013, 11:33:29 AM
Today's Internet has been won by the authors of this article on yesterday's Dead Thatcher Party in Brixton:

http://m.vice.com/en_uk/read/making-friends-at-thatchers-hate-wake

QuoteIn 2013, class war looks like a mobile phone advert. How can anyone find this vulgar?

Excellent.  Vice rules. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 11:50:29 AM
I just wonder why "half of them weren't even alive when she was the prime minister" is used against those who celebrate her death, whereas the same can be said about those who venerate her.  :huh:

Is it like rain on your wedding day?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Those who carry out actions which would normally be found to be contrary to the norms of civilized society have the burden to justifying their actions.  It is quite acceptable to speak kindly of the dead.  It is quite uncommon to do otherwise.

Warspite

Perhaps, but on the other hand drinking beer to celebrate someone dying crosses more taboos than venerating monetarism.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Jacob

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2013, 12:02:15 PM
Perhaps, but on the other hand drinking beer to celebrate someone dying crosses more taboos than venerating monetarism.

I liked the kids who basically said "we're just here because mom let us out on a school night.

Admiral Yi

How many 20 year olds are venerating her?