And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

QuoteEx-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died at 87 following a stroke, her spokesman has said.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning."

Baroness Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990.

She was the first woman to hold the post. Her family is expected to make a further statement later.

Caliga

:o :weep: :weep: :weep:

I look forward to yelling at Tyr in this thread. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Tamas

CountDeMoney

I know it doesn't go over well these days over in the UK, but she made Britain relevant again. 
A terrific partner in the Cold War, and the most equitable US-UK relationship since Roosevelt-Churchill.

I'm sure her legacy will be appreciated by her countrymen more than it is now.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

I hated her at the time but have amore balanced view these days.

Like most great politicans, her legacy is mixed but there's no doubt she was among the most important British politicans in history and changed our society & politics for ever.

Josquius

Needless to say:  :yeah:
██████
██████
██████

PDH

RIP, as Gups said her legacy is great/large enough that reactions (outside of idiots simply shitting in the thread) will always be mixed - but she was the defining British leader of the late 20th century.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2013, 07:15:56 AM

The Coal Mines are saved!!!111
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2013, 07:21:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2013, 07:15:56 AM

The Coal Mines are saved!!!111

Probally the opposite, there's going to be an upsurge in alcohol related deaths amongst elderly miners in the near future. :(
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2013, 07:27:59 AM
Probally the opposite, there's going to be an upsurge in alcohol related deaths amongst elderly miners in the near future. :(

They may forget to stay plugged into their iron lungs with all that boozing.