Main Menu

Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 08, 2013, 10:14:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 08, 2013, 09:54:51 AM
CNN Breaking News:

QuoteU.S. President Barack Obama pays tribute to Margaret Thatcher as one of the "great champions of freedom and liberty."

One of the last great Cold War leaders to croak. Leaves only Carter, Schmidt, Kohl, Gorbachev.

You forgot Valéry Giscard d'Estaing. :(

And Henry Kissinger. He and Helmuth Schmidt meet up once or twice a year in Hamburg.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 11:51:19 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 08, 2013, 07:26:04 AM
:cheers:

I expected better from you

I honestly don't understand that mindset.  I couldn't fathom dancing on the graves of Carter, Clinton, or Obama when they pass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

I can imagine pissing on Carter's grave.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 11:59:35 AMI honestly don't understand that mindset.  I couldn't fathom dancing on the graves of Carter, Clinton, or Obama when they pass.

Check out the link I posted in the legacy thread.

Anyhow... I'm not British, but I think it goes something like this:

1. First off, in the UK class identity occupies roughly the same sort of position as race does in the US. It underpins a whole bunch of issues; it has a long, complicated, and contentious history; and it is key component of how many people identify themselves and how they are viewed. It doesn't matter all the time and everywhere, but being"working class" or "middle class" in the UK is as fraught with hot-buttons and identity as being "African-American", "Asian-American", or "white".

2. Thatcher's policies absolutely devastated a huge number of working class communities. Towns and communities with hundreds of years of history went from being prosperous and content to basically being inner city Detroit after the collapse in the span of a few years.

3. These policies  - however you justify them - explicitly hurt, and sometimes specifically targeted, the working class while benefitting specific sectors of the middle and upper classes, and especially the financial industry in London.

4. This was combined with explicitly vilifying working class leaders and the newly disenfranchised working class, and with the clear goal of destroying their political and economic power. They were treated as the enemy by Thatcher, and shown antipathy rather than sympathy as they were going through some tough times.

Now, leaving aside for the moment any argument about how inevitable and necessary Thatcher's policies were, I'd expect that if something similar had happened in the US but with discrete racial groups suffering or benefitting, and the suffering group being explicitly treated as "the enemy", members of that group would hate the equivalent of Thatcher in that scenario as viscerally as Tyr and other Northern working class Brits hate Thatcher.

I don't think Carter, Clinton, or Obama has hurt you - and the group to which you belong  - and destroyed your economic wellbeing as directly, and as explicitly treated you and people like you as the enemy to the extent that Thatcher did that of the British working class, especially in the North. It's not comparable.

... at least, that's how it seems to me. Does that make more sense to you?

garbon

Jake, I think one problem with your comparison is that we've already historically had discrete racial groups suffering or benefiting from policies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2013, 01:18:50 PM
Jake, I think one problem with your comparison is that we've already historically had discrete racial groups suffering or benefiting from policies.

... yet you've had no people who are personally reviled as a results of the policies they enacted in those contexts?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 01:37:28 PM

... yet you've had no people who are personally reviled as a results of the policies they enacted in those contexts?

Sure but most people are not so low as to celebrate a death.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 01:42:25 PM
Sure but most people are not so low as to celebrate a death.

I'm not celebrating :)

In any case the visceral reaction to her death is hardly surprising, I'd think.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 11:51:19 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 08, 2013, 07:26:04 AM
:cheers:

I expected better from you

Yes. But it was my passive aggressive reaction shown to the vitriol spewed on the Chavez thread...there was the same nonsense there.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 01:37:28 PM

At the time, probably not. After all, the historical trend had been pro-discrimination against minorities.

That said - yes, I'll agree with your larger point that policies that address inequalities and change up the balance of power/privileges among social groups will often spark strong emotional actions, particularly among the group that feels it is "losing".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.