Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2013, 02:05:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:04:02 PM
But that's the thing though.  The correlation is stronger as the weight gets higher.  But it's lower as weights go lower.  It's been the subject of some controversy whether someone who is only somewhat overweight how unhealthy that might be.

Well that is the moderation joke I made earlier.  'Fat' is generally not 'somewhat overweight' unless you have the mental pathology of Ide.  So when we say 'fat' I am thinking pretty obese.

I have heard some pretty mean things said about women who are only somewhat, or even slightly, overweight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

But that's the thing though.  The correlation is stronger as the weight gets higher.  But it's lower as weights go lower.  It's been the subject of some controversy whether someone who is only somewhat overweight how unhealthy that might be.

Well that is the moderation joke I made earlier.  'Fat' is generally not 'somewhat overweight' unless you have the mental pathology of Ide.  So when we say 'fat' I am thinking pretty obese.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 02:06:52 PM

Well this is begging the question - is 200lb on a woman "pretty obese"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2013, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
So yeah, everytime a bunch of men go off about how fat women are and it's because they're just not trying hard enough, I roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

Eh.  For the most part everybody was condemning the 'fat acceptance' movement or whatever rather than giving women, in particular, shit.

No there was plenty of advice about how fat people (and fat women in particular) just aren't trying hard enough.

In the part of the thread I saw, the issue was framed as whether or not someone was trying at all to keep healthy. The woman in the linked article appears to be of the opinion that so such effort was required. Most posters I read specifically noted that what was required was reasonable effort at fitness, not achieving some specific result in terms of body shape.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:08:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 02:06:52 PM

Well I don't know about in a clinical sense but what we're then talking about a woman who is now 60 or so pounds overweight - assuming she was right in her self-description as being chubby at 160?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Maybe depends on the height, but I'd say yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 02:06:25 PM

I'm not sure that was relevant to the discussion here though. I don't know what we had anyone that said kick a spouse over a few pounds.  In the article we had a woman who said she was chubby at 160 and then gained 40 extra pounds.

Depending on her family history, muscle-mass, and height, that's not that big. At my heaviest of 185, no one would have thought me unhealthy, and I'm 5'2".

So this threadhas been about being overweight as much as about being morbidly obese
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Heck I am from Texas.  If anybody is 200lb or lower they have a body to be admired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
Two different things. Fat=/= unhealthy.
Pretty strong correlation, though, and for any given person, all else being the same, more fat is worse than less fat.

My guess is that the article in the OP didn't really apply to people in the 25-30 BMI range, which while slightly overweight, doesn't appear to be unhealthy.

merithyn

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:04:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2013, 01:53:16 PM

It is a risk factor.  Smoker =/= unhealthy either.

And when it affects his health, I'll talk to him about getting healthy, not about getting thin. When the focus is on fat, it takes on the appearance of it being about looks, not health. Why do that to your spouse when it may never affect their health?
Appearance shouldn't be the end-all-be-all, but it still matters.  If Max doesn't shave or bathe for a week, his health would probably stay the same, but I'm sure you'll have a word with him about that.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:15:15 PM
Depending on her family history, muscle-mass, and height, that's not that big. At my heaviest of 185, no one would have thought me unhealthy, and I'm 5'2".

So this threadhas been about being overweight as much as about being morbidly obese

I think if anything, this highlights how charged people get over terms like obese and unhealthy.

Btw, I'd say that having seen those photos in the article - if that's her now - I wouldn't consider her to look healthy.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

I have heard some pretty mean things said about women who are only somewhat, or even slightly, overweight.

I guess I didn't notice.  Call me desensitized.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
Pretty strong correlation, though, and for any given person, all else being the same, more fat is worse than less fat.

My guess is that the article in the OP didn't really apply to people in the 25-30 BMI range, which while slightly overweight, doesn't appear to be unhealthy.

There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.

Good.  We have not debated this topic enough  :cool: