Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 02:11:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:08:16 PM
Well this is begging the question - is 200lb on a woman "pretty obese"?

Maybe depends on the height, but I'd say yes.

:rolleyes:

That just sounds like a lot of weight for an average height woman.  I'm sure some wear it better than others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2013, 02:05:39 PM
'Fat' is generally not 'somewhat overweight' unless you have the mental pathology of Ide. 

Ide likes 'em like the highway from Dallas to Fort Worth:  no curves.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
I have heard some pretty mean things said about women who are only somewhat, or even slightly, overweight.

Oh, I have as well.  But it's usually only been when she's full of herself & just needs to be knocked down a couple pegs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.
How shocking that a notorious numbers guy would resort to using numbers rather than cherry-picked anecdotal evidence or selective extreme statistical scrutiny. :o

derspiess

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 02:24:14 PM
I have heard some pretty mean things said about women who are only somewhat, or even slightly, overweight.

Oh, I have as well.  But it's usually only been when she's full of herself & just needs to be knocked down a couple pegs.

Or when people are being pigs which isn't uncommon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller
Appearance shouldn't be the end-all-be-all, but it still matters.  If Max doesn't shave or bathe for a week, his health would probably stay the same, but I'm sure you'll have a word with him about that.

Having a word =/= divorce.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 02:24:18 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.
How shocking that a notorious numbers guy would resort to using numbers rather than cherry-picked anecdotal evidence or selective extreme statistical scrutiny. :o

I'm more surprised that a self-proclaimed numbers guy would use numbers meant for the volume to apply to the single unit.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:47:39 PM
Appearance shouldn't be the end-all-be-all, but it still matters.  If Max doesn't shave or bathe for a week, his health would probably stay the same, but I'm sure you'll have a word with him about that.

Of course that's always the case, no one serves divorce papers as the first reaction.  What if Max kept not shaving and not bathing despite repeated conversations?

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 02:51:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:47:39 PM

Of course that's always the case, no one serves divorce papers as the first reaction.  What if Max kept not shaving and not bathing despite repeated conversations?

Dunno. Guess it would depend on why.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
I'm more surprised that a self-proclaimed numbers guy would use numbers meant for the volume to apply to the single unit.
I'm not at all surprised that you don't remember the last time I shot down this argument.

Barrister

Why does a woman who is "full of herself" need to "be taken down a couple of pegs"? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
I support the right of people to decide for themselves how they feel about how they look. Besides, a bunch of men sitting around talking about how their wives can lose weight if they just do x, y, and z is a joke. Women aren't built like men, we don't lose weight like men, and it's not as easy for us as it is for you. So yeah, everytime a bunch of men go off about how fat women are and it's because they're just not trying hard enough, I roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

I don't particularly care about how others look, how much weight they have on them, or whether or not they're happy that way. It's, quite frankly, none of my business. When it comes to my spouse, it's more of a factor of his health. So long as he's healthy, his weight is a non-issue to me. Since there are plenty of healthy folks with extra fat on them, the weight won't be what I focus on, and it certainly wouldn't be a reason to leave him.

Hey my wife has much less difficulty staying fit than I do. She's always been thin. That's not why I started the thread.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 03:08:48 PM

Why does a woman who is "full of herself" need to "be taken down a couple of pegs"? :huh:

'Cuz she ain't all that.  Duh.