Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 02:24:18 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.
How shocking that a notorious numbers guy would resort to using numbers rather than cherry-picked anecdotal evidence or selective extreme statistical scrutiny. :o
More that a numbers guy is insisting on using a scalar as a solution to a multi-dimensional problem.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on March 18, 2013, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2013, 02:24:18 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
There you go, Valmy. I knew someone would eventually go there.
How shocking that a notorious numbers guy would resort to using numbers rather than cherry-picked anecdotal evidence or selective extreme statistical scrutiny. :o
More that a numbers guy is insisting on using a scalar as a solution to a multi-dimensional problem.
:lol:

Martinus

I think the relevant test is whether the spouse has let herself/himself go - it's preposterous to expect your partner to keep being interested in you if you stop trying to be attractive to him/her.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I had a mandatory weigh in* for my wife. 133 pounds. I gave her an acceptable grade.

*I sneaked a peek when she thought I wasn't looking. I AM A NINJA
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: katmai on March 18, 2013, 04:04:58 PM
Unless you are paying them!

Actually if they are truly interested in you, pretty preposterous that you'd pay them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 05:01:17 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 18, 2013, 04:04:58 PM
Unless you are paying them!

Actually if they are truly interested in you, pretty preposterous that you'd pay them.

The ones who aren't interested in you at all cost $200. 

But the ones that are really, truly interested in you cost half of all your stuff, eventually. :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on March 18, 2013, 05:14:42 PM

But the ones that are really, truly interested in you cost half of all your stuff, eventually. :P

:lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 02:24:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
I have heard some pretty mean things said about women who are only somewhat, or even slightly, overweight.

Oh, I have as well.  But it's usually only been when she's full of herself & just needs to be knocked down a couple pegs.

Why does a woman who is "full of herself" need to "be taken down a couple of pegs"? :huh:

Well, obviously when she is two pegs to high.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

On a long enough timeline, it's all extortion.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2013, 11:25:16 AM
Well clearly it was posted in a venue where Marty might read it.  :lol:
The irony is that Martinus himself is fat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2013, 06:59:18 PM

On a long enough timeline, it's all extortion.

The difference between a comedy and a tragedy is where you end the movie.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 12:29:45 PM
This thread:  :rolleyes:

You support the fat acceptance movement?

I support the right of people to decide for themselves how they feel about how they look.

Well, I support the right of people to decide for themselves what they find attractive.  WHERE IS YOUR LIBERTARIAN GOD NOW?

Also, I dunno if it's harder for women to lose weight.  It's pretty hard to eat two-thirds to half your daily expenditure of calories regardless of gender, I imagine.  I know I'm pretty hungry (though actually one does get a bit used to it, it's much easier than it was a couple of weeks ago).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)