Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 12:29:45 PM
This thread:  :rolleyes:

You support the fat acceptance movement?

I support the right of people to decide for themselves how they feel about how they look. Besides, a bunch of men sitting around talking about how their wives can lose weight if they just do x, y, and z is a joke. Women aren't built like men, we don't lose weight like men, and it's not as easy for us as it is for you. So yeah, everytime a bunch of men go off about how fat women are and it's because they're just not trying hard enough, I roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

I don't particularly care about how others look, how much weight they have on them, or whether or not they're happy that way. It's, quite frankly, none of my business. When it comes to my spouse, it's more of a factor of his health. So long as he's healthy, his weight is a non-issue to me. Since there are plenty of healthy folks with extra fat on them, the weight won't be what I focus on, and it certainly wouldn't be a reason to leave him.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2013, 12:37:52 PM
I thought she was just upset she took 4 days to weigh in on the issues.

I was on vacation, eating a lot, drinking a lot, and relaxing a lot. I think I gained three pounds. I'm a happy girl. :cool:

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2013, 12:37:52 PM
I thought she was just upset she took 4 days to weigh in on the issues.

I think she went into hiding for a bit after the female kicker fiasco.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:37:34 PM

I support the right of people to decide for themselves how they feel about how they look. Besides, a bunch of men sitting around talking about how their wives can lose weight if they just do x, y, and z is a joke. Women aren't built like men, we don't lose weight like men, and it's not as easy for us as it is for you. So yeah, everytime a bunch of men go off about how fat women are and it's because they're just not trying hard enough, I roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

I don't particularly care about how others look, how much weight they have on them, or whether or not they're happy that way. It's, quite frankly, none of my business. When it comes to my spouse, it's more of a factor of his health. So long as he's healthy, his weight is a non-issue to me. Since there are plenty of healthy folks with extra fat on them, the weight won't be what I focus on, and it certainly wouldn't be a reason to leave him.

Even if that means that they decide for themselves to be unhealthy and a medical burden?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 01:39:46 PM

Even if that means that they decide for themselves to be unhealthy and a medical burden?

Then public policy should focus on being healthy, and not (or at least only incidentally) on fat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Oh, so if I'm unhappy about non-Catholics who go on about how the Church should do this and that without having any interest of join the church that's out of bounds, but if you are unhappy about men talking about a woman's health find and dandy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 01:39:46 PM

Two different things. Fat=/= unhealthy.

But to answer your question, if Max was a diabetic and refused to take his insulin, I would not leave him, no.

DGuller

If your partner wants to let themselves go, you have to let them go.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
But to answer your question, if Max was a diabetic and refused to take his insulin, I would not leave him, no.

You wouldn't have to.  He would be leaving this earth soon enough.   ;)

Valmy

So yeah, everytime a bunch of men go off about how fat women are and it's because they're just not trying hard enough, I roll my eyes.  :rolleyes:

Eh.  For the most part everybody was condemning the 'fat acceptance' movement or whatever rather than giving women, in particular, shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
Then public policy should focus on being healthy, and not (or at least only incidentally) on fat.

I agree and I think in many cases it does.