News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2013, 04:13:02 PM
Really?  Haven't these arguments been repeated a billion times?

The US leads the world in illegal drug use...which is an enormous market that fuels organized crime...which leads to them having the muscle to fuck with governments like Mexico.

The argument that I believe has been repeated a billion times is that criminalization of drugs creates more criminal activity *within* the US.

The fact that drugs are decriminalized in Europe doesn't mean that they get their product from Mother Theresa.

Also a little skeptical about the US leading the world in illegal drug use.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 04:20:08 PM
Also a little skeptical about the US leading the world in illegal drug use.

Well then use google and educate yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 08:57:40 AM
That's not what your BBC link says.
The Honduran government asked the OAS to set up a Truth Commission as part of the sort-of new settlement that emerged after elections. Probably because none of the normal people you'd get to investigate it could because they were implicated.

Also to correct my earlier post Congress didn't vote for his removal. They unanimously accepted his resignation, the letter subsequently turned out to be a forgery. Then they replaced him.

QuoteWhich assumes that their decision at the time was obviously the correct one, yet they felt the need to appoint a commission to investigate the correctness of the decision.
They were asked to appoint a Truth Commission and that's sort of their purpose. I'm fairly sure the ANC weren't in doubt about the crimes of apartheid South Africa. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission model is to establish the historical record, draw a line under it and, normally, includes either procedures for granting amnesty or amnesty in exchange for complete, honest testimony.

In the case of Honduras the larger political settlement allowed Zelaya to return (and when he did he gave a speech calling for conciliation and democracy - and now serves as a Representative of Honduras to some Central American confab), the Truth Commission to establish what happened and an amnesty for all involved on all sides.

QuoteWell then use google and educate yourself.
While you're there educate yourself on European drug laws too. The only country that I know of with general decriminalisation is Portugal, aside from that almost all the same drugs are almost always illegal.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Shelf:

Honduras didn't ask the OAS to set up the Truth Commission so they could get to the bottom of that pesky question about the constitutionality of Zeleya's removal, they accepted it as part of a quid pro quo for reinstatement in the OAS.

The South African analogy is a bad one.  Theirs was not set up to determine whether apartheid actually existed or not, but rather to document individual cases of mistreatment. 

And finally decriminalization is not the same as legalization.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I heard Chavez is starting to feel better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 08:37:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2013, 04:00:47 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 06, 2013, 10:16:08 PM
I can't believe that Chavez dies and the next day the thread is hijacked into the legal particulars of the Honduran coup/not coup.

At least I think we can agree that Raz was wrong that people didn't give a fuck about the coup.

Am I? Most of the board wasn't aware it happened. 

Most of the board? As I showed, we spent several months on that topic.  You might have some of us not remembering it - but what does that prove?  How many threads we've had about Chavez vs. 2009 Honduras? That the former got more media coverage than the latter in the intervening years?

35 posters?  What did what have back 2009, like 200?  And shit, Conservative crowd didn't think it was a coup.  Just a normal military kicking an elected officers out of the country thing.  No comparison.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

What a fucking stupid argument this is.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on March 08, 2013, 02:14:57 PM

WELCOME TO LANGUISH
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on March 08, 2013, 02:14:57 PM

When could you or anyone else, not post this in any Languish thread since 2006ish  and be wrong ?

:P

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Sounds like Chavez is to be embalmed and put on display like Lenin, Mao, etc.  He's in good company!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2013, 04:30:20 PM
Sounds like Chavez is to be embalmed and put on display like Lenin, Mao, etc.  He's in good company!

10 quatloos say his corpse turns into chipped beef inside 5 years from the crap job they do.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2013, 04:30:20 PM

10 quatloos say his corpse turns into chipped beef inside 5 years from the crap job they do.

And it will be blamed on imperialist sabotage.