News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 09:20:17 PM
The Supreme Court authorised the military to remove him - which they did and to expel him from the country without trial, which they did. Later that day Congress voted him out of office, accepting a forged resignation letter and appointed an interim government. In this whole situation the Supreme Court, President, military and Congress went beyond their constitutional limits.

If the military storming a Presidential palace, shipping the democratically elected incumbent off to a third country and declaring a temporary state of emergency isn't a coup, then I don't know what is.

Well that part about Congress voting him out of office after he was already out of office was something I was unaware of (or had subconsciously suppressed) and could cause me re-evaluate my opinion.

You say it was done unconstitutionally.  Do you happen to know what it would have taken to make it constitutional, or are you taking someone else's word for it?

QuoteWhich other question?

How the right wing's obsession with Chavez manifested itself.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 09:29:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 09:27:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 09:21:19 PM
Back in 2009, Der was happy about the coup.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,1367.0.html

And?

Just leading credence to the idea that we did considered it a coup.

In fairness, I think I changed my mind a couple times on that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 09:29:59 PM
You say it was done unconstitutionally.  Do you happen to know what it would have taken to make it constitutional, or are you taking someone else's word for it?
No idea. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission report says that Congress acted beyond its powers in removing him and appointing the speaker as interim President.

QuoteHow the right wing's obsession with Chavez manifested itself.
Read some of the conservative blogs. Redstate alone brings up 4 pages of results, since 2010. A search of Limbaugh brings up over 180 mentions, including many full mini-discussions, since 2007. Look at how many articles about him there are on Fox (you can search). It all seems a tad disproportionate for a sideshow.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 09:39:27 PM
No idea. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission report says that Congress acted beyond its powers in removing him and appointing the speaker as interim President.

Yeah, the problem with the commission is that it was appointed by the OAS, which jumped all over itself at the time branding the action illegal.

QuoteRead some of the conservative blogs. Redstate alone brings up 4 pages of results, since 2010. A search of Limbaugh brings up over 180 mentions, including many full mini-discussions, since 2007. Look at how many articles about him there are on Fox (you can search). It all seems a tad disproportionate for a sideshow.

Kay. 

Carry on Raz.  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 09:42:23 PM
Yeah, the problem with the commission is that it was appointed by the OAS, which jumped all over itself at the time branding the action illegal.
It was appointed by the OAS and the Honduran Supreme Court, reported to the Supreme Court and was made up of respected Honduran figures.

Edit: And incidentally of course the OAS would be jumping about it illegal. Latin America democratised at great cost in the past 20-30 years so I can see how they'd want to be very demanding in preserving that and wanting to see troops remain in the bases.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 08:51:18 PM
I agree entirely. I hoped for a new start in the relationship after the end of the Cold War and the general democratisation of Latin America. It hasn't happened, I think drift was the best word that could describe W's policies there and even that's probably too kind to describe Obama's. It's a shame.

Yet another way W was a huge failure.  He made a real effort to work with Mexico when he was Governor and Mexico thought it was a really good thing for them when he was elected.  Then...nothing.

This is certainly not the only way the Feds failed after the Cold War.  So many missed opportunities squandered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I miss Hans.  He would have provided some fun in this thread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

I can't believe that Chavez dies and the next day the thread is hijacked into the legal particulars of the Honduran coup/not coup.

At least I think we can agree that Raz was wrong that people didn't give a fuck about the coup.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

Not really, no.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

Hans has gone all rightwing gangsta now.  He just does driveby drudge now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 09:59:47 PM
I agree entirely. I hoped for a new start in the relationship after the end of the Cold War and the general democratisation of Latin America. It hasn't happened, I think drift was the best word that could describe W's policies there and even that's probably too kind to describe Obama's. It's a shame.

Yet another way W was a huge failure.  He made a real effort to work with Mexico when he was Governor and Mexico thought it was a really good thing for them when he was elected.  Then...nothing.

This is certainly not the only way the Feds failed after the Cold War.  So many missed opportunities squandered.

I think that we squandered more after the end of WWII.  Oh well.

Queequeg

QuoteI think there's a lot of truth to it. And many left-wingers were irrationally obsessed with him - I mentioned earlier the progressive pissing contest between those who were more progressive because they supported the Bolivarian revolution and those who were more progressive because he was a quasi-dictator.
I think Chavez got more traction out of America's dislike of him than was ever warranted by the depth of the dislike, or the actions we undertook against his regime. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: dps on March 06, 2013, 10:51:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 09:59:47 PM

I think that we squandered more after the end of WWII.  Oh well.

What are these opportunities you guys are talking about?  And would they actually have advanced our own national interest?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2013, 01:33:34 AM
What are these opportunities you guys are talking about?  And would they actually have advanced our own national interest?

What are "our" national interest here?  What I consider to be of national interest, well of course, and since I have only been talking about this for ten years I assume you have some grasp of what I am talking about here.  But "our" national interest may be different.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 08:27:30 PM
What a strange discussion.  Raz, mongers, and The Nation all seem to have adopted the same party line when it comes to discussing Chavez and his legacy: right-wingers were irrationally obsessed with him. 

It has the advantage of distracting attention from his abundant failings, but it has the disadvantage of not being supported by the evidence.  Chavez had a brief blip of notoriety when it came to light he was supporting FARC, and rightly so.  Supporting an narco-insurgency against a democratic ally is no laughing matter.  He had another 10 seconds of fame when he called Bushitler the Devilhitler at the UN.  Then another two day news cycle when it appeared he was cultivating ties with Iran.  Other than that he has been a nonentity.

As a side note, I was amused by The Nation's temerity in citing Carter's original approval of Chavez' 2nd election, as he has gone on record since as saying though he observed irregularities, he decided not to mention them because he was concerned doing so might lead to disorder or somesuch.

It also has the benefit of being true.  How come the rest of the world lacks this obsession with Chavez?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017