And we're back!

Main Menu

Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2013, 11:49:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2013, 11:39:17 PM
It's just that Yi doesn't know the rules in Honduras, so naturally he can't trust the OAS on this.
I explained that they are not an impartial body because they were so quick to condemn the ousting of the president

Like every fucking body in the whole world except for a few weirdos in internet forums.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2013, 12:19:36 AM
Shouldn't they condemn the ousting of a democratically elected president by the military quickly? Were there any bodies that you respect that did not condemn the ouster? I mean the EU, the UN, and the US all condemned the coup. Are they likewise not impartial?
He wasn't ousted by the military.  He was ousted by the Supreme Court.

Of course he was ousted by the military, initially they were only going to arrest him and while they were at it they decided to kick him out. Read the thread from back in the day that was linked a few posts ago if your recollections are so weak.

Berkut

Has there been any update on Chavez's condition?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2013, 08:35:11 AM

I did a quick check of my Latin American feed and it appears he is still deceased.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 09, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
Also on the original topic, I walked past the Venezuelan Embassy today. As well as a few bouquets, candles and pleasant messages ('you gave us a light...') there was one that said he should be burning in hell for what he's done. I wondered if a Languishite had made the trip :lol:

Probably just a Venezuelan exile :P

I mean I have very little good to say about Chavez but I didn't hate the guy.  Just another South American politician who destroyed his country to satisfy his own ambitions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2013, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2013, 08:35:11 AM

I did a quick check of my Latin American feed and it appears he is still deceased.

That's what I'm seeing reported as well.

Berkut

Damn. Poor guy just cannot catch a break.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2013, 06:38:19 AM
Of course he was ousted by the military, initially they were only going to arrest him and while they were at it they decided to kick him out. Read the thread from back in the day that was linked a few posts ago if your recollections are so weak.

What does it mean to have a military "only going to arrest" a president in Honduras?  You say the words as though it was obvious what that means.  It doesn't seem obvious to me, so why don't you explain the Honduran procedures for a military arrest of the President (with sources, por favor)?

I agree that the ouster was a coup, but disagree that it was a military coup.  The military didn't take over. They were a tool of the court, even if (and this is unproven) they went further than the court intended.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2013, 07:17:05 PM
I guess some of the more 'enthusiastic' contributors to this thread will demanding the utmost respect is shown in the future Thatcher RIP thread ?

Funny that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 08, 2013, 01:50:20 PM
I guess some of the more 'enthusiastic' contributors to this thread will demanding the utmost respect is shown in the future Thatcher RIP thread ?

Funny that.

Admittedly I didn't look through the whole thread, but I didn't see CC or I acting 'enthusiastic' in this thread - though we both lambasted you in the Thatcher one. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Funny that.

I knew.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2013, 03:31:47 PM

Funny that.

WITCH!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Funny that.

Have you started studying Marti's paranormal ways?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 03:35:37 PM

Funny that.

Have you started studying Marti's paranormal ways?

To be serious, it's just playing the percentages; DG's job. 

For me the sadest thing about growing mature/old, is knowing a certain small percentage of ones older friends/colleagues are going to die in any given year. 

I know find myself sometimes actively checking on them, to see that they're ok.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2013, 03:38:58 PM
To be serious, it's just playing the percentages; DG's job. 
It's not my job to guess when people are going to die, I'm not a life actuary.  It's just a hobby for me.