News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on March 06, 2013, 10:16:08 PM
I can't believe that Chavez dies and the next day the thread is hijacked into the legal particulars of the Honduran coup/not coup.

At least I think we can agree that Raz was wrong that people didn't give a fuck about the coup.

Am I? Most of the board wasn't aware it happened. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on March 06, 2013, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2013, 07:58:26 PM
Our more conservative friends were quite a bit more subdued when Pinochet died, and he was a dictator who launched a successful coup.

A couple of important differences--Pinochet never tried to make himself a threat to American interests, and had been out of power for a good while at the time of his death.

Well unless you consider setting off a bomb in Washington and the killing of an American citizen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 03:52:47 PM
Chavez was a big anti-American, antisemitic dickhead who went out of his way to be a right real pisshead to Washington and whose bullshit foreign policy won't be missed, but that doesn't negate the reforms he made in attempting to return some equality to Venezuela's rich-poor imbalance.  I know that's a foreign concept here in the United States of Wall Street, but he actually improved a lot of impoverished lives. 

Americans just can't stand Latin American leaders that don't march lockstep with the US and look the anti-Communist part straight out of early 1980's Central Casting.  Pretty funny for a hemisphere we've pretty much ignored since Roosevelt, unless it's to topple a government or ignore right-wing death squads whacking herds of Jesuits and nuns.

Yeah, Bush really really hated Lula didn't he?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on March 07, 2013, 04:21:07 AM
Yeah, Bush really really hated Lula didn't he?

Can it, shitbird;  nobody ever counts Brazil in US-Latin American relations anyway.  They don't even speak Spanish.  They're just...there.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 09:21:19 PM
Back in 2009, Der was happy about the coup.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,1367.0.html

Damn was that messy. I remember speaking with Minsky about it when I visited NY in 2010.

I see that spicy still hasn't answered my question on how Zelaya was "going left wing" and that justified having the military kicking him out of the country.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2013, 04:00:47 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 06, 2013, 10:16:08 PM
I can't believe that Chavez dies and the next day the thread is hijacked into the legal particulars of the Honduran coup/not coup.

At least I think we can agree that Raz was wrong that people didn't give a fuck about the coup.

Am I? Most of the board wasn't aware it happened. 

Most of the board? As I showed, we spent several months on that topic.  You might have some of us not remembering it - but what does that prove?  How many threads we've had about Chavez vs. 2009 Honduras? That the former got more media coverage than the latter in the intervening years?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2013, 07:22:35 AM

Damn was that messy. I remember speaking with Minsky about it when I visited NY in 2010.

I see that spicy still hasn't answered my question on how Zelaya was "going left wing" and that justified having the military kicking him out of the country.  :P

What a hoot! :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 09:45:00 PM
It was appointed by the OAS and the Honduran Supreme Court, reported to the Supreme Court and was made up of respected Honduran figures.

That's not what your BBC link says.

QuoteEdit: And incidentally of course the OAS would be jumping about it illegal. Latin America democratised at great cost in the past 20-30 years so I can see how they'd want to be very demanding in preserving that and wanting to see troops remain in the bases.

Which assumes that their decision at the time was obviously the correct one, yet they felt the need to appoint a commission to investigate the correctness of the decision.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2013, 07:22:35 AM

Yeah well get in line, Spaniard. You're not the only person affected by my ADD-induced thread abandonment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

So, is Chavez still dead?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

fhdz

I'm really glad that this time we've managed to resolve all the arguments :)
and the horse you rode in on

Iormlund

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 07:56:42 PM
He ... did his part to undermine regional security in his part of the world. 

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 08:27:30 PM
It has the advantage of distracting attention from his abundant failings, but it has the disadvantage of not being supported by the evidence.  Chavez had a brief blip of notoriety when it came to light he was supporting FARC, and rightly so.  Supporting an narco-insurgency against a democratic ally is no laughing matter. 

It's hard not to laugh at these statements when the main narco supporter is the US government with its disastrous drug policies.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on March 07, 2013, 04:04:50 PM
It's hard not to laugh at these statements when the main narco supporter is the US government with its disastrous drug policies.

Please elaborate.  I'm particularly interested to learn how the US, with its active anti-drug efforts, is a greater supporter of narcotics than Europe, with its lax laws, is.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 04:08:46 PM
Please elaborate.  I'm particularly interested to learn how the US, with its active anti-drug efforts, is a greater supporter of narcotics than Europe, with its lax laws, is.

Really?  Haven't these arguments been repeated a billion times?

The US leads the world in illegal drug use...which is an enormous market that fuels organized crime...which leads to them having the muscle to fuck with governments like Mexico.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."