To the married folk (or previously married)

Started by merithyn, January 29, 2013, 03:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 05:22:30 PM
I have to say that the traditionalist in me thinks it's very sweet that many of you guys went down on one knee, though I've never understood the significance of doing so. What is it meant to represent?

It's a pretense of humbling yourself before her.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2013, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 05:22:30 PM
I have to say that the traditionalist in me thinks it's very sweet that many of you guys went down on one knee, though I've never understood the significance of doing so. What is it meant to represent?

It's a pretense of humbling yourself before her.

OK Mr. pausealot, you couldnt even bother with the pretense.

But as every man who stays married for long knows - happy wife happy life.  So if it really is just a pretense to you, have fun with your misery.  You deserve it.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 05:25:58 PM

But as every man who stays married for long knows - happy wife happy life. 

As Max can attest, I hate this saying. (It's an HGTV staple that usually means, "Whatever she wants, she gets. My opinion isn't as important as hers is." Drives me nuts.)

I mean, I get what it's trying to convey, but shouldn't be happy couple happy life? I know, not as poetic, but there doesn't appear to be anything that says that the husband should be happy, too.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
I mean, I get what it's trying to convey, but shouldn't be happy couple happy life? I know, not as poetic, but there doesn't appear to be anything that says that the husband should be happy, too.

I'd like "Single person, no kids, happy life" :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2013, 05:31:33 PM

I'd like "Single person, no kids, happy life" :D

:lol:

Okay, you got it.

crazy canuck

But as every man who stays married for long knows - happy wife happy life. 

As Max can attest, I hate this saying. (It's an HGTV staple that usually means, "Whatever she wants, she gets. My opinion isn't as important as hers is." Drives me nuts.)

Happy couple for life would be a nice concept but how is a couple happy?  Its when the wife is happy. 

Berkut

It was my turn to cook dinner and I proposed that rather than making me cook dinner, we go buy an engagement ring instead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

OK Mr. pausealot, you couldnt even bother with the pretense.

But as every man who stays married for long knows - happy wife happy life.  So if it really is just a pretense to you, have fun with your misery.  You deserve it.

What makes you think I'm miserable?  My wife is happy.  I'm happy.  And all somehow in spite of me not dropping to one knee :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2013, 05:45:20 PM
It was my turn to cook dinner and I proposed that rather than making me cook dinner, we go buy an engagement ring instead.

Well, that's one way to get out of cooking. :D

Ed Anger

Proposed in hospital ER room, post miscarriage.

Totally romantic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 29, 2013, 06:12:53 PM
Proposed in hospital ER room, post miscarriage.

Totally romantic.

Oh, Ed. I'm sorry. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2013, 05:45:20 PM

:lol:

Anything to get out of household chores!

Caliga

I am extremely risk averse so I asked her repeatedly if she would say yes over a year long span just to make sure I would succeed. :cool:

When I decided to finally do it, I took her up to Rockport and we bought the engagement ring together because I wanted to make sure I'd get her something she would like.

I then asked her to marry me at this famous vista:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"