And we're back!

Main Menu

Gubmint intervention at work

Started by citizen k, January 28, 2013, 03:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2013, 03:12:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 02:33:48 PM
On a more serious note, do you not have a concern about deceptive trade practices?

Not on whether an item an item advertised as on sale is actually at a reduced price.

So its ok for a retailor to be dishonest, so long as its on and item by item basis?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 05:39:36 PM
So its ok for a retailor to be dishonest, so long as its on and item by item basis?

It isn't okay in the ethical sense, and that may put their souls in danger of eternal hellfire. But I don't think it is a good use state power and society resources to investigate whether that roll of toilet paper advertised on sale was actually sold for a higher price last week.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

It isn't okay in the ethical sense, and that may put their souls in danger of eternal hellfire. But I don't think it is a good use state power and society resources to investigate whether that roll of toilet paper advertised on sale was actually sold for a higher price last week.

Your right, that is why there are private procecution provisions.  I guess you missed that part :P

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

Your right, that is why there are private procecution provisions.  I guess you missed that part :P

That doesn't change anything: your judges, court administrators, etc are still state employees. Actually, if the government is going to allow action in these cases, I'd prefer it to be managed by government regulators rather than privately, which seems to have more potential to have costs spiral out of control.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

So you would rather have deceptive trade practices then fund the court system.  Interesting.

That doesn't change anything: your judges, court administrators, etc are still state employees. Actually, if the government is going to allow action in these cases, I'd prefer it to be managed by government regulators rather than privately, which seems to have more potential to have costs spiral out of control.