News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Usage of out of office automatic reply?

Started by Martinus, January 28, 2013, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I use it on vacations or when I'm out of the office and incommunicado for a day or more during the work-week. I don't use it to announce I'm away on weekends.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Vricklund

Sometimes I read/sort through the flood of emails eventhough I'm technically "away". What's the etiquette when someone refuses to aknowledge an away message? I'm not sure if she's importunate or doesn't understand it's an automated response...

mongers

Mongers its currently out of the 'office' for an indeterminate, but lengthy period of time.

If you have something important(trivial) to say, please post it on Languish.org and I will attend to it within the hour.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 28, 2013, 03:41:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2013, 03:23:45 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 28, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
Unless people need to get answers from you ASAP using it for less than being a few days away strikes me as overkill.

Well we don't all live in Spain. Many of my clients would be upset if they had to wait several days for me to respond to them. :P

That's why I said that it'd depend on people needing answers from you ASAP or not. :p

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 28, 2013, 03:44:06 PM
I have 24 hours to respond to an email, by policy. If I'm going to be away longer than that, I use my out-of-office reply. Otherwise, I do not.

I'm not sure if we have a policy. I know though that people generally get concerned (or pissy) if I don't get back to them within a couple hours during normal work day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I only have internal customers and work with suppliers, but I do use it when I am away for at least a whole day. I sometimes use it when I am in, but attend a workshop or training and can only answer mails sporadically.

We don't have a policy that you have to answer e-mails in a certain time. And some e-mails I don't answer at all and just wait if the issue solves itself.  :P

Jaron

More than a day. Typically something along the lines of 'if you need immediate help, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx' so I don't have to deal with it when I get back. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Yeah, I'm with the "more than a day" crowd, and even then when I will have my Blackberry and be able to respond at a leisure (e.g. I'm at a firm training with a lot of free time listening to boring stuff, as opposed to vacation or a business trip) I do not set it up.

There are people who set it up when they go for 2-3 hour meetings, but I find it unprofessional.