To the married folk (or previously married)

Started by merithyn, January 29, 2013, 03:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 03:59:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2013, 03:55:22 PM
Actually the sad thing is I don't actually think any of them were made while drunk either. I think my memory is just hazy from that period of depression. Poorly formed memories?

I think it's sweet that someone wanted to marry you while you were going through such a hard time. Not everyone would be so understanding. Was it a long-term relationship?

I think that's a rather nice Mom sort of response. :D

No, though perhaps in total hours of interaction as I recall for a period of several months we virtually lived together. Lethargy is good for that. :D -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I paused Men In Black to propose.  The conversation was just going in that direction.  It was probably the least romantic proposal in history-- and I got away with it :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2013, 04:40:55 PM
I paused Men In Black to propose.  The conversation was just going in that direction.  It was probably the least romantic proposal in history-- and I got away with it :D

No, I think DG has you on that one. :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

It can't have been a total surprise because it's not as if we hadn't talked about getting married at some point.  I knew, for example, that she did not want to go ring shopping, so I had to go out and pick one up.

I had finally gotten the ring (which meant driving 2 hours into edmonton).  We lived in separate towns just over an hour apart.  I had kept missing opportunities to meet her and give it to her.  So, one day I drove down to her house and let myself in.  I brought 100 or so tea lights and set them up all throughout the living room.

She was going to take a job in the town I was in, so we had talked just a night or two before about how she would live at my place.  She said something about how it would just be like we were room mates.

So when she came home, she didn't quite get what all the candles were for.  I got down on one knee and said I didn't want to be just room mates, and would she marry me instead.

I forgot to actually get the ring out at first, but she said yes, we kissed, and then I said "but I haven't even shown you the ring!".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 04:46:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2013, 04:40:55 PM

No, I think DG has you on that one. :lol:

Well Der's has happened. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2013, 04:53:59 PM
It can't have been a total surprise because it's not as if we hadn't talked about getting married at some point.  I knew, for example, that she did not want to go ring shopping, so I had to go out and pick one up.

I had finally gotten the ring (which meant driving 2 hours into edmonton).  We lived in separate towns just over an hour apart.  I had kept missing opportunities to meet her and give it to her.  So, one day I drove down to her house and let myself in.  I brought 100 or so tea lights and set them up all throughout the living room.

She was going to take a job in the town I was in, so we had talked just a night or two before about how she would live at my place.  She said something about how it would just be like we were room mates.

So when she came home, she didn't quite get what all the candles were for.  I got down on one knee and said I didn't want to be just room mates, and would she marry me instead.

I forgot to actually get the ring out at first, but she said yes, we kissed, and then I said "but I haven't even shown you the ring!".

Okay, that's adorable. Well done, BB. :hug:

merithyn

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 05:01:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2013, 04:53:59 PM

Okay, that's adorable. Well done, BB. :hug:

He didn't mention having to call the fire brigade because the candles set fire to the drapes, and then she had no option but to move in, whilst her house was renovated.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

My brother & I both lucked out when it came to rings.  His in-laws had bought the diamonds ages ago for both their daughters' rings, so all he had to do was have it set.  I proposed to my wife without a ring because I knew she would want to wear her grandmother's engagement ring more than anything I would have picked out.

My other brother had to buy a ring but his marriage only lasted 2 or 3 years so it almost doesn't count.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 03:24:34 PM
How did you propose or get proposed to?

I took her for a nice walk in Stanely Park on a sunny summer day.  Stopped in the middle of the rose garden, got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 05:16:44 PM

I took her for a nice walk in Stanely Park on a sunny summer day.  Stopped in the middle of the rose garden, got down on one knee and asked her to marry me.

That must have been the first time you'd seen eye to eye on anything.  :P

:cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2013, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 29, 2013, 05:16:44 PM

That must have been the first time you'd seen eye to eye on anything.  :P

:cheers:

:lol:

Well done, CC. :cheers:

merithyn

I have to say that the traditionalist in me thinks it's very sweet that many of you guys went down on one knee, though I've never understood the significance of doing so. What is it meant to represent?