And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2013, 05:55:09 AM
I'm down one more belt hole, but I'm still the same weight. Grrr.  <_<

A whole year, I've been trying to gain some muscle but it seems like it just won't work. I lift until I'm sore. Mrs. MIM has to give me massages a couple times a week. I eat a lot of protein. She says I look stronger but I just don't see it. It's frustrating.

OTOH: The 40 pounds I lost last year have not come back at all. It's like my body simply wants to fade away.

I guess I'm what they call a hard gainer. Or an ectomorph. If I did get ripped, I'd look a lot more like Bruce Lee than Arnold.

I've always been a small fry. I started lifting seriously this past April and I've only gained about seven pounds, doing something similar to the Starting Strength program vM is talking about. I went from 124 to 131, weighing myself religiously every day. Lately I've been slacking and I'm down to 129 :bleeding:

The great thing is I'm a lot stronger. A lady friend of mine said she can see the difference, so I'm making progress, even if it's really slowly. I pretty much choke down at least four meals a day and a couple protein shakes, but it feels like a fucking job sometimes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2013, 05:55:09 AM
I'm down one more belt hole, but I'm still the same weight. Grrr.  <_<

A whole year, I've been trying to gain some muscle but it seems like it just won't work. I lift until I'm sore. Mrs. MIM has to give me massages a couple times a week. I eat a lot of protein. She says I look stronger but I just don't see it. It's frustrating.

OTOH: The 40 pounds I lost last year have not come back at all. It's like my body simply wants to fade away.

I guess I'm what they call a hard gainer. Or an ectomorph. If I did get ripped, I'd look a lot more like Bruce Lee than Arnold.

I've always been a small fry. I started lifting seriously this past April and I've only gained about seven pounds, doing something similar to the Starting Strength program vM is talking about. I went from 124 to 131 (I'm 5'7"), weighing myself religiously every day. Lately I've been slacking and I'm down to 129 :bleeding:

The great thing is I'm a lot stronger. A lady friend of mine said she can see the difference, so I'm making progress, even if it's really slowly. I pretty much choke down four meals a day and a couple protein shakes, but it feels like a fucking job sometimes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

I calculate that I did more than 2500 miles this summer (May-August) on the bike.  This will slow down with teaching, but oh well.  I need to get the legs in shape for next year when Mongers comes to Laramie so we can bike over the Snowy Range.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 01, 2013, 03:58:32 PM
I calculate that I did more than 2500 miles this summer (May-August) on the bike.  This will slow down with teaching, but oh well.  I need to get the legs in shape for next year when Mongers comes to Laramie so we can bike over the Snowy Range.

:D

Well done, more than I did this summer.  :cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Did my end of the Summer marathon this morning.  Laramie to Centennial and back.  39 miles or so each way, several climbs in the rolling hills and a total climb at the halfway point of 900 feet.  Had a headwind for the last 5 miles before turn around - that was tough.  I rested at the Friendly Store for a half hour, then rode that now tail-wind back.

All in all a perfect ride.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
Did my end of the Summer marathon this morning.  Laramie to Centennial and back.  39 miles or so each way, several climbs in the rolling hills and a total climb at the halfway point of 900 feet.  Had a headwind for the last 5 miles before turn around - that was tough.  I rested at the Friendly Store for a half hour, then rode that now tail-wind back.

All in all a perfect ride.

Impressive.  :cool:

You've set me a challenge, though even if I beat 80 miles in one go, I'd still be short of a few thousand feet here and there.  :whistle:

PDH

You have to average 17-18 mph too...
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2013, 03:01:03 PM
You have to average 17-18 mph too...

I managed to average 19.2 the other day, well it was for a while, .. actually only for about 25 minutes and that was a Real Effort.   :blush:

PDH

Well, the second 39 miles I had a fair bit of downhill (two 500 foot climbs from a river valley) with a 10mph tailwind  :)
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Eddie Teach

While you two are off racing bikes, Mono and I can have a competition to see who can walk farther on a treadmill without breaking down.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2013, 09:24:12 PM
While you two are off racing bikes, Mono and I can have a competition to see who can walk farther on a treadmill without breaking down.

You're talking about life, right ? :unsure:

Liep

I signed up for the Hermitage Run which is a 13.3km run north of Copenhagen. I haven't really run since I played football in 8th grade and training running again is tough work. I can manage about 8km now (after a month of training) and there's a month to go, it'll be close. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on September 03, 2013, 11:25:14 AM
I signed up for the Hermitage Run which is a 13.3km run north of Copenhagen. I haven't really run since I played football in 8th grade and training running again is tough work. I can manage about 8km now (after a month of training) and there's a month to go, it'll be close. :P

You got it...the general rule is you can add a mile a week (1.6 km). Just don't don't skip training days.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Got my black gi in karate today. :cool: LOL am I: ninja!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 07, 2013, 11:43:39 AM
Got my black gi in karate today. :cool: LOL am I: ninja!

Gun beat ninja.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive