News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

How tall is he that under 180 is considered unhealthy?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 18, 2013, 03:50:23 AM
How tall is he that under 180 is considered unhealthy?  :hmm:
Probably depends on how much metal he has in his crushed limbs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2013, 10:20:21 PM
Is Anger bitching about having to gain weight ?!??

Hey that can be hard. I've been lifting for a year but can't gain...probably because I just can't eat enough. Plus being on an elderly Ensure diet isn't good for weight gain.  :P

4000 calories a day is nuts. I just can't do that. Stuffing a couple more eggs in or another hamburger is sometimes like torture.

This is the hardest thing I've had to deal with, and it makes the process of losing the weight I did seem like easy pickings by comparison.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Who's bitching?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

According to everybody's favorite metric, BMI, 6 feet tall and 180 lbs rates 24.4, just barely under the "overweight" category. To classify as "underweight" you'd need to be around 135.  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 18, 2013, 05:51:12 AM

Hey that can be hard. I've been lifting for a year but can't gain...probably because I just can't eat enough. Plus being on an elderly Ensure diet isn't good for weight gain.  :P

4000 calories a day is nuts. I just can't do that. Stuffing a couple more eggs in or another hamburger is sometimes like torture.

This is the hardest thing I've had to deal with, and it makes the process of losing the weight I did seem like easy pickings by comparison.

my oldest son is going through the same struggle.  He is having a hard time eating enough to gain - or even maintain weight.  He is getting a lot stronger but he has only gained about 10 - 15 pounds over the last few months.  On the bright side he is ripped but he could use about another 30 lbs.

Eddie Teach

Tell him to stop training so hard and the weight will come naturally.  -_-

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 01:00:27 PM
Tell him to stop training so hard and the weight will come naturally.  -_-

QFsortofT.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I'm down one more belt hole, but I'm still the same weight. Grrr.  <_<

A whole year, I've been trying to gain some muscle but it seems like it just won't work. I lift until I'm sore. Mrs. MIM has to give me massages a couple times a week. I eat a lot of protein. She says I look stronger but I just don't see it. It's frustrating.

OTOH: The 40 pounds I lost last year have not come back at all. It's like my body simply wants to fade away.

I guess I'm what they call a hard gainer. Or an ectomorph. If I did get ripped, I'd look a lot more like Bruce Lee than Arnold.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

On the subject of weight gain for strength building, in Starting Strength Mark Rippetoe calls for drinking whole milk, and lots of it.  I have the opposite problem, so I have no first-hand experience. :P

I have been on the Starting Strength program for about two weeks now, and I have been seeing similar results as MIM: increasing lifts, changing body measurements, basically flat weight (2-3 lb fluctuations with no clear trend).  From what I have read, for me that is expected.  I'm still a novice and won't start dropping weight until my body ramps up more.  Plus, I need to clean up my diet. :P

My work (3x5) weights as of Monday:
Squat: 135 lbs
Press: 75 lbs
Bench: 105 lbs
Deadlift: 215 lbs
Power clean: not attempted (I start those next week)

Vitals as of Monday morning:
Weight: 297.8
BP: 144/88 (on meds)

Ed Anger

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 10:57:33 AM
My ribs hurt.

:(

Similar here, after crashing a couple of weeks back, it still hurts when I sneeze or blow my nose.

mongers

Ended up doing a little under 500 miles cycling this month, a bit under 300 miles on the main bike before its/my prangette and 100 miles on two of the other bikes.