News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Just ordered "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Vol. 3: 1910".  :bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2009, 12:59:08 AM

It's alright.  Nothing spectacular.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on June 22, 2009, 10:27:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2009, 12:59:08 AM

It's alright.  Nothing spectacular.

Yeah, but for 6 € I was willing to risk it. The Black Dossier was already a bit esoteric, though I loved some of the sections a lot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

I almost bought that LEG 1910 also. But found Planetary vol 1 & All-Star Superman vol 1 for way cheap, and ended up buying those. Very happy with that decision.

Oh and hey anyone read Cap 600?

He's coming back. I'm kinda sad. I like Bucky Cap. I wonder if Spidey's "Mephisto deal" will go up in smoke in a few weeks when he hits 600 also? I miss MJ.
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 14, 2009, 11:59:02 AM
no context there Tim. Funny tho seeing The Hulk using a gun. How exactly did he pull the trigger on that tiny thing.
I was hoping someone here would know where this was from.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I haven't really been reading much Marvel lately.  Everything they do just comes off as kinda bland for me.  Except X-Factor.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
I haven't really been reading much Marvel lately.  Everything they do just comes off as kinda bland for me.

We need to see more Cage or Alias or Supreme Power or something other than Punisher with a MAX label.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

BuddhaRhubarb

Madrox rox!

Iron Fist is still good

I also chuckled mightily at the newest Punisher, with all the previously dead Super Villains trying to kill Frank.

Neil

Blackest Night is already pissing me off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2009, 09:07:14 PM
Blackest Night is already pissing me off.

I hear ya on that. I like some of the concepts but the execution is crappy... I don't wanna see dark[insertdeadherohere] of any kind. use old stupid villains and just amp/revamp them... that's what marvel is doing. (with so-so results)

The #600 club.   recently Marvel's bigger flagship titles are remorphing into their old numbering, so we've Had

Cap 600 which was well done but also a bit predictable.

Thor 600 was a nice change and I'm liking that title a lot now. can they sustain it? we'll see.

Spidey 600 - meh more of this whole nobody knows who spidey is anymore was lame really and so predictable until MJ showed up... let's speed that shit along. Spidey needs to be with MJ imho.

Hulk 600. oh fuck off.

I expect more when DD & FF get there.

Neil

Blackest Night is a zombie series.  Raping the memories of fallen heroes is disgusting.  Especially Sue, who already got raped once.

Thor is a good title.  Other than X-Factor, it's the only thing in Marvel I really follow.  I've wanted to follow Hulk, because Planet Hulk was the best thing that Marvel has done since the Infinity Gauntlet, but the fact that he was missing from his own title for a year or so is worthless.  Marvel doesn't have as strong a second-string as DC, and so watching Hercules jackassing around is not fun.  I was following Nova for a while, but drifted away for a bit.

Sophie Scholl

Just picked up Red Prophet:  Tales of Alvin Maker Volumes 1 and 2.  Marvel hard cover graphic novels by Orson Scott Card set during the colonial era.  Looked like they might be decent and they were on sale for 7 dollars a pop so I made the impulse buy.  Anyone know anything about these?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

They all need to be purged!  :mad:

QuoteTwihards Overpower Cosplayers as "New Moon" Hits Comic-Con
"Twilight"'s sizable imprint on pop culture on display in San Diego

DOUGLAS WOLKPosted Jul 24, 2009 9:01 AM

If you have never been to Comic-Con International San Diego, it can be hard to understand how freaking huge it is. It is, simply, the biggest pop culture get-together in America, with every major fantasy or action movie of the next year represented, as well as video games, books, music, and, of course, comics. The 130,000 or so tickets sold out months ago; the con, which started back in 1970 as 300 geeks in a hotel basement, now overflows the entire mammoth San Diego convention center, and is taking over parts of the mega-hotels that flank it. It can take upwards of 45 minutes simply to walk from a movie screening at one end of the show to a panel ("The Best and Worst Manga of 2008-2009" or "A Darker Shade of Ink: Crime and Noir in Comics") at the other.

(Click here for photos of New Moon, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Avatar and more movies at Comic-Con 2009)

And yes, a lot of attendees dress up to show their fannish affiliations, whether they're cosplaying or just sporting a T-shirt or button. This year, there are the inevitable dudes dressed like Imperial Stormtroopers, the inevitable girls dressed like Sailor Moon, a lonely Rorschach or two, and an enormous number of people wearing Green Lantern or Sinestro Corps T-shirts. But there's one name on more lips than any other: "Edward."

New Moon — the film of the second Twilight novel by Stephenie Meyer, about a love triangle involving a vampire and a werewolf, scheduled to open November 20 — is a big, big deal. An estimated 2000 people formed a tent city Wednesday night to camp outside the convention center's 6,500-capacity Hall H, where Summit Entertainment showed a preview of New Moon Thursday afternoon and brought along its stars Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner. By mid-morning on Thursday, the line to get into the hall (which was also hosting previews of a bunch of forthcoming 3-D movies, James Cameron's Avatar, Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and the comics-inspired Kick-Ass) stretched all the way down the side of the convention center, then jumped across the street and curled along the side of the bay as far as the eye could see.

Meanwhile, New Moon's principals appeared at a morning press conference, Stewart wearing a Minor Threat T-shirt and wisecracking, Lautner and Pattinson both referring to the movie as a "franchise." "Last year," Lautner noted, "Comic-Con was the big eye-opener for us" — the moment when they realized that Twilight was not just another vampire movie but something that meant an awful lot to a whole lot of people.

It's true: a quick, unscientific survey revealed that a solid majority of the people in line outside (mostly women) were primarily there for "New Moon," and crossing their fingers that they'd get into the hall, or at least a glimpse of its stars. A lot of them were wearing "Twilight" T-shirts, official or homemade; more than a few were wearing "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" Burger King crowns. Why no Team Bella? "Bella's not really that important," said Hana Takio, a Team Jacob enthusiast who'd taken her place in the line around 9:30 AM for the New Moon panel five hours later. "It's all about the eyes."

As it turned out, the panel didn't screen all that much of the movie, although Taylor Lautner's fans were treated to footage of him shirtless, so they weren't complaining. Desiree Cooper, another Jacob buff who'd gotten in line with her friend a little before 10 a.m., had hoped to see all of the day's previews, especially Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. But she summed up what she'd really wanted to see in the New Moon preview in two words: "A fursplosion!"

Get more Twilight on RollingStone.com:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

QuoteThey all need to be purged!

Good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive