News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

My Open Letter to Marvel Comics or Enterfuckingtainment or whatever they are calling themselves:

AheM... ummm Here's an idea: stop yanking my chain with fake Jean Greys already. What would be cool is if Jean could come back as Phoenix and actually get to have time as a superhero instead of Galactically Powered Mutant/Threat to The Universe... Just an in control Phoenix for I dunno at least a few years before some crossover event thing where she dies again. Make her like Ms. Marvel in recent years. Give her some A game. Maybe a series? Miniseries.

So many great characters going to waste out there. I also think The Creeper over at DC has never been given a great new slant or anything since Ditko's fun but dated initial incarnation of the character. They've tried many takes on this one, but never quite got it.

What characters do you think are wasted while Wolverine, Spidey, Batman, Superman and all the other slutty many team types hog all the spotlight?

Are you a Brother Voodoo Zombie? Well he just became Sorcerer Supreme.

How long before Dr. Strange gets it back ?

*end comic :nerd: transmission......
:p

Neil

Haven't they married Cyclops off to the White Queen?  Or would a full on Jean Grey return be accompanied by making Emma into a 'she was always evil, and she was just tricking everyone' or a GirlMagneto?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on June 11, 2009, 09:45:25 PM
Haven't they married Cyclops off to the White Queen?  Or would a full on Jean Grey return be accompanied by making Emma into a 'she was always evil, and she was just tricking everyone' or a GirlMagneto?

Well that is seeming a bit rocky right now as Emma has joined Osborn's Anti-Illuminati.... And all the writers seem to be adding a lot on tension in that relationship... Jean's name dropping a lot! I think Jean should stay away from Cyclops for a while... have all them be single for awhile. Why do we need to have so much soapy stuff. I want a Machiavellian Orwellian whateverian good long story or two from the X-men that is just them putting down powerful other mutants or aliens or something.

Astonishing is the only title that is really doing this.  If Jean came back I'd want it done there.
Ultimate X-men is dull these days.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 11, 2009, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 11, 2009, 09:45:25 PM

Well that is seeming a bit rocky right now as Emma has joined Osborn's Anti-Illuminati.... And all the writers seem to be adding a lot on tension in that relationship... Jean's name dropping a lot! I think Jean should stay away from Cyclops for a while... have all them be single for awhile. Why do we need to have so much soapy stuff. I want a Machiavellian Orwellian whateverian good long story or two from the X-men that is just them putting down powerful other mutants or aliens or something.

Astonishing is the only title that is really doing this.  If Jean came back I'd want it done there.
Ultimate X-men is dull these days.
Anti-Illuminati?  I'm behind, I guess.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

And yeah, the Ultimate books are pretty much used up at this point.  The only Ultimate character I really care about is Hulk.

Habbaku

Ultimate X-Men became exceptionally dull when Kirkman ended his storyline...and the new writer immediately retconned everything in the first issue.  Then did a "drugs are bad" arc.

Yeah.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 11, 2009, 09:18:22 PM
What characters do you think are wasted while Wolverine, Spidey, Batman, Superman and all the other slutty many team types hog all the spotlight?

Superman can never get to much spotlight.  He's the goddamn Superman.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 11, 2009, 09:18:22 PM
Given that the 'spotlight' these days seems to involve fucking characters up, I'd rather prefer they didn't use them too heavily.  Let's do the list of some of my favorite DC characters.

Ted Kord:  Killed
Elongated Man:  Killed.
Sue Dibny:  Raped then killed.
Max Lord:  Turned evil then killed.
Mary Marvel:  Turned evil, then weird, then evil/weird.
Hal Jordan:  Back to being a headliner again.  Virtually the only thing going right with DC.

Also, as an aside, let's see what happened to the characters from one of my favorite 90s books, Young Justice.

Robin III:  Retired?  His job got stolen by that irritating Damian kid.  Look for him to turn evil soon.
Superboy:  Killed by Superboy Prime in the big damn crossover.
Impulse:  Killed after about five minutes as the Flash.  Seems to be back.
Wondergirl:  Active as the leader of the Teen Titans.
Arrowette:  Retired, doing the whole 'regular girl Olympic Gold Medalist' thing.
Secret:  Depowered, at a boarding school with Wondergirl and Arrowette.
Empress:  Semi-retired.  Raising her de-aged parents back to adulthood, made an appearance in an issue of Supergirl.
Lil' Lobo:  Out of action.  Still a statue 83 thousand years in the future, thanks to Darkseid.

Those kids got throttled.

Darth Wagtaros

Young Justice was up with Spyboy as one of the greats of the past 15 years.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 12, 2009, 08:40:48 AM
Young Justice was up with Spyboy as one of the greats of the past 15 years.
It really was.  And a pretty good lineup, especially the Original Six.

You know, I wonder what happened to their support characters?  Agent Maad, Bonnie King.  We did see Snapper Carr in Final Crisis.  Even Secret is pretty much off the grid, which is too bad.

BuddhaRhubarb

I missed Young Justice as I did most late 90's comics... outta the loop for a few years. I should go back and check that out. Also The whole Aquaman debacle/reboot hasn't been settled has it? I want Arthur (Drama Queen of the seven seas) back. That book was going great guns til they killed him and brought in a younger sort of Arthur.

There were some ok storie there but it wasn'r Aquaman.

Neil

I was never a big follower of Aquaman.  The guy has been the butt of jokes for years now, and every time they fuck with him in an effort to make him more XTREME!, they just make things worse.  I liked the character, as I felt he was one of the more practical and realistic of the JLA Big 7, with a sort of regalness and understanding of responsibility that none of them can really match.  At his best, he was divinely-mandated royalty, balancing the welfare of an entire world ocean with his responsibility to the world at large.  Although Superman might feel that great power makes him responsible for everything and Batman might feel that he has to avenge himself on evil everywhere, Arthur actually is responsible for the welfare of millions.  Even Green Lantern, whose responsibility is imposed by the Guardians, or Wonder Woman, who is just an envoy for her mother, can't really appreciate the awesome weight that Aquaman deals with all the time.

Darth Wagtaros

The New Teen Titans degenerated quickly into some stupid ass soap opera.  All the humor was sucked out to make way for bad drama.  Blekth.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 12, 2009, 07:39:10 PM
The New Teen Titans degenerated quickly into some stupid ass soap opera.  All the humor was sucked out to make way for bad drama.  Blekth.
That's true for wide swathes of DC.  They're too focused on EVENTS and not enough on making books that can charm you.

Darth Wagtaros

Well I'm gonna check out Irredeemable.  I have to agree with you on DC.  The Crisis and 52 stuff made them so much money I guess they can't stop now.
PDH!