Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:09:45 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking.  If you dont think that laws which allow employers to not pay people holiday pay for working on holidays is draconian then we dont have a sufficient base line from which further discussion is fruitful.  You would probably also defend the ironically named Right to Work Legislation also.

There's just a fundamental difference of how one views "holiday pay". It is, in effect, a perk, not a right. People are more willing to work for a company that pays it, but that doesn't mean that every company should be required to pay it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:15:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:09:45 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking.  If you dont think that laws which allow employers to not pay people holiday pay for working on holidays is draconian then we dont have a sufficient base line from which further discussion is fruitful.  You would probably also defend the ironically named Right to Work Legislation also.

There's just a fundamental difference of how one views "holiday pay". It is, in effect, a perk, not a right. People are more willing to work for a company that pays it, but that doesn't mean that every company should be required to pay it.

Wow, a perk?

You guys get the society you deserve I suppose.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 05:10:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 05:04:08 PM
All of your post was very bizarre. It was like you were having some imaginary conversation with yourself.

No, we were talking about shitty Wal Mart employees and the types of hourly rate fuck overs companies enjoy employing, and you're like, "lawls, I have to sign HR paper work too, lawls smiley". 

You simply reinforced Jacob's and CC's points, along with the added delight of the usual homo self-centeredness.

That only stemmed from you getting smug when I questioned the idea that it was Republican lawmakers who put such policies in place.

I know all too well how poorly Walmart treats its employees. My father was employed there for a bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:13:29 PM
Hey seedy - you ever worked in a unionized position?  :)

Yup.

And you're still pro-union? :hmm:

Public sector unions are one thing.  But unions that protect against not paying people for working on statutory holidays are quite another.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 05:16:41 PM
I know all too well how poorly Walmart treats its employees. My father was employed there for a bit.

I dunno about that.  My brothersfirstroommatewhosemotherdiedandhehadnootherfamilysoweinvitehimtoallthebigholidays and his wife worked (and even met) at Walmart.  He had worked his share of service jobs, and Walmart was far from the worst.  I can remember dropping him off at Walmart Christmas night so he could get ready for the insane boxing day sales, which definitely sucked for him, but beyond that they were fairly decent in terms of pay and scheduling.

As far as crap service jobs go, Walmart is one of the better ones.

mongers

I'm not sure America can win this race to the bottom; hell I was treated badly as an employee, so you should accept worse treatment otherwise unions will take over the country.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:25:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 05:16:41 PM

I dunno about that.  My brothersfirstroommatewhosemotherdiedandhehadnootherfamilysoweinvitehimtoallthebigholidays and his wife worked (and even met) at Walmart.  He had worked his share of service jobs, and Walmart was far from the worst.  I can remember dropping him off at Walmart Christmas night so he could get ready for the insane boxing day sales, which definitely sucked for him, but beyond that they were fairly decent in terms of pay and scheduling.

As far as crap service jobs go, Walmart is one of the better ones.

Canada has minimum standards legislation.   :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 19, 2012, 05:25:00 PM

Yup.

:rolleyes:

No shit, right?  Cops and firefighter unions = good, but teachers, truckers and low wage saps? ZOMG teh evul.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 05:28:10 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 19, 2012, 05:25:00 PM

Yup.

:rolleyes:

No shit, right?  Cops and firefighter unions = good, but teachers, truckers and low wage saps? ZOMG teh evul.

When on earth did I ever say that police and firefighter unions are good? :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 05:26:09 PM
I'm not sure America can win this race to the bottom; hell I was treated badly as an employee, so you should accept worse treatment otherwise unions will take over the country.

Okay...*backs away slowly*
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 05:26:09 PM

:huh:

What the hell does that even mean?

By the way, I never said that because I was treated badly as an employee others should be treated the same. I said that it's the nature of the beast in some industries. I don't consider it being treated badly. I consider it the norm, with anyone who handles it better a better employer.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:31:22 PM
When on earth did I ever say that police and firefighter unions are good? :hmm:

That's simply a common theme down here, s'all.