Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:02:48 PM
Thats why you need sane employment standards legislation that companies cannot contract out of.

Nonsense, all Americans have the right to decide who to work for and where;  whether they can or not is not a concern.

Don't like working at Wal Mart?  Work elsewhere.  If you can't, that's not our problem, man.

Yeah, which of course brings me back to my original question.  Why do you people put up with this.

Even the Union haters should be behind this kind of minimum standards type legislation.  Make the legislative standard strong enough and employees have little need to unionize.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 04:09:45 PM
None as a company-wide holiday. However, I will be working unofficially on Saturday and Sunday to catch back up.

You should work on your time management skills.  Get a day planner or something.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:12:37 PM
Thats why you need sane employment standards legislation that companies cannot contract out of.

Nonsense, all Americans have the right to decide who to work for and where;  whether they can or not is not a concern.

Don't like working at Wal Mart?  Work elsewhere.  If you can't, that's not our problem, man.

Yeah, which of course brings me back to my original question.  Why do you people put up with this.

Even the Union haters should be behind this kind of minimum standards type legislation.  Make the legislative standard strong enough and employees have little need to unionize.

You just have no concept of freedom or liberty up there, do you?

DontSayBanana

Where are you guys drawing the line?  What a lot of you are forgetting (or ignoring) is that when there's a midnight opening, there are still going to be employees showing up to open the store on (technically) Thanksgiving.

That said, I am going to draw a line on this one and say that there should be a restriction.  Salary and exempt hourly managers can be scheduled at 11:30PM on Thanksgiving, everyone else should get until 12AM.

There are way too many people who are going to have to cut and run on Thanksgiving because of their jobs, and even corporate district and regional managers should understand shit like "undermining morale."
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:20:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:12:37 PM

You just have no concept of freedom or liberty up there, do you?

:D

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:56:30 PM
This comes back to my age of question about US politics - why do people affected by these kinds of draconian laws keep voting in the people that make them?
:pope:/ :ph34r:

merithyn

I think this is really a bunch of fluff and stuff. Maybe it's because I've worked for hospitals for a number of years, and for the service industry that doesn't shut down because of the holidays, but if that's what the job is, then that's what the job is. I work in insurance now, and I have to be at work on Friday at 8am just like any other work day. Not thrilled about it, but I'd rather have to work then have no job, so yeah, I'll do it. No point grumbling about it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 19, 2012, 04:24:29 PM
Where are you guys drawing the line?  What a lot of you are forgetting (or ignoring) is that when there's a midnight opening, there are still going to be employees showing up to open the store on (technically) Thanksgiving.

That said, I am going to draw a line on this one and say that there should be a restriction.  Salary and exempt hourly managers can be scheduled at 11:30PM on Thanksgiving, everyone else should get until 12AM.

There are way too many people who are going to have to cut and run on Thanksgiving because of their jobs, and even corporate district and regional managers should understand shit like "undermining morale."

"undermining morale" < "increasing shareholder value"

What's problem with undermining morale?  The proles don't like it, they can quit.  We'll simply get another prole.  GOD BLESS AMERICA

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 04:36:05 PM
I think this is really a bunch of fluff and stuff. Maybe it's because I've worked for hospitals for a number of years, and for the service industry that doesn't shut down because of the holidays, but if that's what the job is, then that's what the job is. I work in insurance now, and I have to be at work on Friday at 8am just like any other work day. Not thrilled about it, but I'd rather have to work then have no job, so yeah, I'll do it. No point grumbling about it.

I suppose I have my answer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:41:31 PM

Shitty employment is a privilege, not a right.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:41:31 PM

Yeah. Seems like it come down to two things, which Meri illustrates:

1) Internalizing the situation as a binary choice: having a job and putting up with shit vs having no job.
2) "If someone has to put up with it, everyone should have to put up with it."

viper37

do you get compensation as in double pay, or another day off the week after?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:40:44 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 19, 2012, 04:24:29 PM

"undermining morale" < "increasing shareholder value"

What's problem with undermining morale?  The proles don't like it, they can quit.  We'll simply get another prole.  GOD BLESS AMERICA

Well that's the problem with having a shitty economy in the first place.

Here it can be hard to find another prole.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:19:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 04:09:45 PM
None as a company-wide holiday. However, I will be working unofficially on Saturday and Sunday to catch back up.

You should work on your time management skills.  Get a day planner or something.

I'm not complaining though. It's part of my job. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:56:30 PM
This comes back to my age of question about US politics - why do people affected by these kinds of draconian laws keep voting in the people that make them?

Don't you think "draconian" is a bit of an overstatement?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall