Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

So an employee can work the actual stat holiday and not get paid extra for working the stat?  How does that make any sense?

Been like that for quite a lot of places for ages:  you have to work both days bookending a holiday to get holiday pay, or it's just another Thursday for you.  I've had jobs like that before.

YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HERE COMMIE PINKO GET A REAL JOB ROBBLE ROBBLE UNIONS DESTRY AMMURICA W#@$*( @)*& )@*(%$

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

So an employee can work the actual stat holiday and not get paid extra for working the stat?  How does that make any sense?

Same for a lot of the factories around here. The idea is that it keeps people from calling off sick on either side of the holiday. It works, but it's a shitty way to do it, imo.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

This comes back to my age of question about US politics - why do people affected by these kinds of draconian laws keep voting in the people that make them?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:56:30 PM
This comes back to my age of question about US politics - why do people affected by these kinds of draconian laws keep voting in the people that make them?

That's a Big Business (ie Republican) thing, and most factory workers that I know vote Democrat.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 03:58:40 PM

That's a Big Business (ie Republican) thing, and most factory workers that I know vote Democrat.

Are there laws that mandate this - or is it a company policy thing?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 03:59:12 PM

It's a condition of employment, right down at the bottom of the HR paperwork where it says "you don't like it, GTFO."

I'm sure you approve.

merithyn

Company policy, but I believe that CC is saying that the gubmint shouldn't allow companies to make such policies. I was only saying that those who this most affect vote for those most likely to agree with CC.

crazy canuck

There are not enough Big Business types to vote in the Republicans - particularly in the States where the Republicans win.  So I dont think it is a big business thing.  I think it is a bunch of people voting against their own self interest to support policies that make no sense.

Which is why I am continually amazed when I hear about stuff like this.

Neil

And yet nothing changes.  Could it be that the Republicans and Democrats are more or less identical on this issue, and you're trying to turn it into a partisan issue because of your inability to think?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:01:34 PM
Which is why I am continually amazed when I hear about stuff like this.

Don't know why, there's absolutely nothing in the United States Constitution guaranteeing holiday pay.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

It's a condition of employment, right down at the bottom of the HR paperwork where it says "you don't like it, GTFO."

I'm sure you approve.

Thats why you need sane employment standards legislation that companies cannot contract out of.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

I'm sure you approve.

I have to sign similar HR paperwork.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 04:02:48 PM
Thats why you need sane employment standards legislation that companies cannot contract out of.

Nonsense, all Americans have the right to decide who to work for and where;  whether they can or not is not a concern.

Don't like working at Wal Mart?  Work elsewhere.  If you can't, that's not our problem, man.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 04:03:07 PM
I have to sign similar HR paperwork.

What are your hours this Thursday?

None as a company-wide holiday. However, I will be working unofficially on Saturday and Sunday to catch back up.