Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://abcnews.go.com/US/walmart-workers-threaten-strike-shoppers-ready-deals/story?id=17759705#.UKqGI4cr0sI

QuoteWalmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday, One of the Biggest Days of the Year

While bargain-hunting shoppers gear up this week for Black Friday, Walmart, the country's largest retailer, may be in for a blackout on one of the biggest shopping days of the year.

Walmart workers at 1,000 locations across the U.S. said they're angry that Walmart stores are opening at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, and that they plan to strike to protest this holiday opening. In such cities as Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Milwaukee and Los Angeles, workers could begin striking as early as today.

"We're just demanding respect," said Rosetta Brown, a Walmart employee.

Walmart said that 1 million associates would be working throughout the holiday weekend. "This is the Super Bowl for retailers and we're ready," Kory Lundberg, director of National Media Relations for Walmart, wrote in an email to ABCNews.com. "We've been working on our Black Friday plans for almost a year now, and we're prepared to have a great event. We respect the rights of our associates to express their views but if they are scheduled to work, we expect them to show up and do their job."

Other retailers are also opening some stores on Thanksgiving Day. Target, for one, is opening to the public at 9 p.m. for its Black Friday sale. Sears will also open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, moved up from 4 a.m. on Black Friday last year. Kmart will be open Thanksgiving Day 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., then it will close and reopen at 8 p.m. Macy's, Kohl's and Best Buy open at midnight.

Meanwhile, Best Buy employees are firing up for the big day with training drills.

"This is what I live for," one salesperson told ABC News. "This is what I love to do."

In states like Wisconsin, California and Florida, shoppers have already started camping out, and some are even planning to eat Thanksgiving dinner while waiting in line.

"Mom comes out with the china and plates, and we have everything you'd have on a Thanksgiving table," one shopper said.

These early birds are ready to pounce on door-busting deals on the hottest holiday products from $78 flat-screen TVs at Walmart to $100 digital cameras at Target.

"Electronics are going to be huge again," retail expert Michelle Madhok told ABC News. "There's the iPad mini that everybody wants, the iPhone 5 and for the kids there's the Leap Pad 2, which is like an iPad for kids."

Comments:
Quote from: dumbpeoplestinkThen quit!!!!! Don't even complain about available jobs, my son has had one since he was a junior in high school. I hope you get fired.

Quote from: NoSpin1600I don't think stores should open until 8am the day after Thanksgiving, no need to open earlier. As for unions, they will be the downfall of this country. They make very large political contributions and believe me they expect things in return. We have federal laws that protect workers, unions do nothing but leach off these workers.

Quote from: crusaderfortruthThere are a lot of people that need a job. Fire everyone that doesn't show up for work.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

I question the sanity of anybody who eats Thanksgiving dinner while waiting in line at Target.  Or anywhere else. 
PDH!

Ed Anger

Ed anger prediction: strike fizzles. Nice try, but ineffective.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote"This is what I live for," one salesperson told ABC News. "This is what I love to do."

Really

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2012, 02:33:22 PM
Ed anger prediction: strike fizzles. Nice try, but ineffective.

:yes:

Strikers account for one worker out of 10,000.  Walmart probably has more people call in sick on a daily basis.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/2012/11/16/black_friday_strike_wal_mart_employees_threaten_to_walk_out_on_nation_s.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

This rat race trend of Black Friday beginning on Thursday is getting insane.  There is something to be said about keeping some things sacred, like an ability for some poor schlep with no negotiating power to have Thanksgiving dinner with their family.  I wouldn't be at all opposed to having some blue laws to deal specifically with this.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Neil

See, now this is a labour movement I can get behind.  Not only are retail drones the last bastion of the unskilled worker that unions were created to protect, but the thought of screwing over the sort of retards who actually go to Black Friday sales is just delicious.

Too bad that the whole thing will fizzle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

What I find annoying is the increasing trend in Canada to have "Black Friday" sales.

THANKSGIVING WAS A MONTH AGO YOU FUCKS!  IN THIS COUNTRY WE DO OUR CRAZY SALES ON BOXING DAY! :ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 02:36:01 PM
Quote"This is what I live for," one salesperson told ABC News. "This is what I love to do."

Really

Best Buy floor employees get yearly bonuses based on their store's sales and 1 1/2 times holiday pay for working Thanksgiving Day.

Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM
Quote from: NoSpin1600I don't think stores should open until 8am the day after Thanksgiving, no need to open earlier. As for unions, they will be the downfall of this country. They make very large political contributions and believe me they expect things in return. We have federal laws that protect workers, unions do nothing but leach off these workers.

A. Walmart workers are not Unionized.

B. The Unions are hardly the only ones making huge political contributions and leaching off workers :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

In states like Wisconsin, California and Florida, shoppers have already started camping out, and some are even planning to eat Thanksgiving dinner while waiting in line.

"Mom comes out with the china and plates, and we have everything you'd have on a Thanksgiving table," one shopper said.

Wait they are lining up now?!  Wouldn't they come out ahead if they went to work this week and bought that TV at the regular price?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2012, 03:19:29 PM

Wait they are lining up now?!  Wouldn't they come out ahead if they went to work this week and bought that TV at the regular price?

Shoppers are crazy. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

So an employee can work the actual stat holiday and not get paid extra for working the stat?  How does that make any sense?