Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2015, 09:16:24 PM
You have no choice in being poor mono?  I think I agree with that.

Well, I have to say I agree, but somehow I think this is an example of One Dialogue, Two Conversations. 

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2015, 05:14:32 PM
I wish they fucking hadn't given how often it happens. Maybe even better to just have the voice acting off.

Yeah I switched it off entirely, because it was rather weird and annoying.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2015, 05:14:32 PM
I wish they fucking hadn't given how often it happens. Maybe even better to just have the voice acting off.

I play with voices off, I find them a bit distracting anyway. Same with music; it's nice music, but the same cues repeat over and over.

It's a relatively low budget game at the end of the day.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2015, 05:04:23 PM
I don't really understand why during the course of a conversation a character will have only certain lines with voice acting.

Because voice acting is really expensive and limits the amount of dialog a game can have?

Not a big fan of full voice acting. It limits the amount of game content for nothing but a cosmetic advantage. Limited like this is just fine, once you hear the character's voice a few times you know what they sound like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2015, 07:13:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2015, 05:04:23 PM
I don't really understand why during the course of a conversation a character will have only certain lines with voice acting.

Because voice acting is really expensive and limits the amount of dialog a game can have?

Not a big fan of full voice acting. It limits the amount of game content for nothing but a cosmetic advantage. Limited like this is just fine, once you hear the character's voice a few times you know what they sound like.

Well it is a good thing that I didn't say everything needed to be full voice acted. What's annoying me is the let's say Farmer Brown has 8 screens of dialog in one conversation/interaction. Of those, it'll be like first 3 screens voiced, next 4 unvoiced and last one voiced. A bit jarring to be jumping back and forth in the same conversation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

The problem with voice acting in this game is that the dialogues are too long.  It feels ok in Skyrim because they speak far fewer words.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2015, 07:17:21 AM

Well it is a good thing that I didn't say everything needed to be full voice acted.

Ah my apologies. This is a common criticism so I might have filled in the gaps there.

QuoteWhat's annoying me is the let's say Farmer Brown has 8 screens of dialog in one conversation/interaction. Of those, it'll be like first 3 screens voiced, next 4 unvoiced and last one voiced. A bit jarring to be jumping back and forth in the same conversation.

Sometimes it makes sense, like when they have a line that is in there because you are form a certain place or otherwise just for your character. Maybe they were additions made after the recording was made?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Or they just couldn't afford to record all of those little variations with their budget. Still, it's true that sometimes they mix voiced and unvoiced fragments in a slightly jarring way. I presume that for whatever reason they rewrote parts of dialog after recording it.

Monoriu

So far I think the game is free of major or annoying bugs.  I bought it on the first day of release, and fully expected the game to crash once every few hours.  Nothing of that sort has happened. 

celedhring

Quote from: Monoriu on March 30, 2015, 03:23:36 PM
So far I think the game is free of major or annoying bugs.  I bought it on the first day of release, and fully expected the game to crash once every few hours.  Nothing of that sort has happened.

Aye, the spawn of Obsidian and Paradox could have been a terrible thing, but this is pretty bug-free out of the box.

I have only experienced a couple of minor bugs so far (animations getting stuck very uncommonly, and some icon display issues).

garbon

I've had a few moments where characters stutter when trying to move but yeah nothing major.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

I just got chased by wind into a cave with a two people from a caravan.  I have a getting into these games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Finally completed all the quests in the first major city (Defiance Bay), and I'm 30 hours into the game with plenty of unvisited locations on my map. This game is big.

I'm the kind of player that reads and searches every nook and cranny in RPGs though, not the fastest player around.